Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i got an 81 toyta sr5. My probelm is that the truck has about 210xxx miles on it(well what i guess) and the odometer stopped working at 110830. I tried getting into it and moving the gears all around and it still didnt spin. Has anyone had this problem? If so, howd you fix it?

Also on my gague cluster, its of course a 4WD but it doesnt have a 4WD light on it. No big deal on that part but now im guessing that that gague cluster wasnt made for that truck. Its kinda weird...

Chris

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
that is weird i also had a 81' and it had a 4WD light. Does the Speedo work?
Possibly someone might have swapped out the instrument cluster for a 2WD and never hooked the speedo up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, speedo works, the 1/10th mile on the odometer still spins but not the miles. Also on the Trip meter it works fine...but the 10,000...1,000, 100 and 1 miles on the odometer does not work. its weird... The tach on it is completly shot tho too...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
i'd say just replace the unit with a boneyard one. The miles will be exempt anyways. And if by some chance the Tach still doesn't work follow the wire it eventually ends up at the coil/igniter.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually i opened up the whole gague cluster and the part that spins for the tach is completly bent up somehow. I did go to the junkyard for a new part but all the dashes were gone and the one my dad got into to get the needle for the tach he bent to crap :shaking: AFTER i told him i might want that along with a new odometer.... he just didnt listen :shaking:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
lilbuddy said:
Also on my gague cluster, its of course a 4WD but it doesnt have a 4WD light on it. No big deal on that part but now im guessing that that gague cluster wasnt made for that truck. Its kinda weird...

Chris
It's surely a 2wd combo.....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figured that it prolly would when i looked in the original manuel and it said it should have a 4wd light... Ok now does anyone know if an 83 cluster would fit into a 81?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
lilbuddy said:
Actually i opened up the whole gague cluster and the part that spins for the tach is completly bent up somehow. I did go to the junkyard for a new part but all the dashes were gone and the one my dad got into to get the needle for the tach he bent to crap :shaking: AFTER i told him i might want that along with a new odometer.... he just didnt listen :shaking:
i hear you there, ah the joys of having your dad help you out. It's always nice to have an extra hand, but they do seem to use a little extra brute force. :D I had my 83 odometer not working, i messed with it quite a bit, then i ended up spinning something and it worked for about 600 miles then it stopped. so just keep fiddling with it, you may mess up your numbers, but oh well. good luck

·
Registered
204 Posts
lilbuddy said:
I figured that it prolly would when i looked in the original manuel and it said it should have a 4wd light... Ok now does anyone know if an 83 cluster would fit into a 81?

the 83 cluster will not work in your 81 where the harness plugs into the back is tottaly different, you can only use 79-81 model year cluster. you can put a plain one without a tach in there if your desperate enough.
i have a tach one i'll sell for $30+ shipping and some plain ones for $10 + shipping each.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried fiddling with it for about an hour total...still dead...

Toyota parts dude: thanks for the offer but i have one already lined up to buy. Also thanks for telling me that the 83 doesnt fit in an 81. I looked in an 83 today and noticed that it was different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts