Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NERD
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at using the rear shocks off a Rzr XP 1000 for a project. They're the Walker Evans take offs, I believe they’re 2.5 fronts and 3.0 rears, if I’m right. They rears are the length I need, 34-35” extended and 12” of travel (IIRC). I believe the Fox are the same? I don’t know much about the side by side OEM shock setups and searching has given me confusing results for the last 4 days.

Are the Walker Evans shocks similar in shim design and maintenance as the Fox shocks? Are parts readily available? I would assume so since these are high volume side by sides (Rzr). Are new springs available to change the spring rate? What’s the factory spring combo?

Thanks for putting up with newb questions :flipoff2:

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,508 Posts
They are defective discs, not shims try not to sound like a dumb ass.

:flipoff2:

Call Walker Evans racing and talk to one of the three guys that builds shocks there?

·
NERD
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are defective discs, not shims try not to sound like a dumb ass.

:flipoff2:

Call Walker Evans racing and talk to one of the three guys that builds shocks there?
:flipoff2: Thanks Frank. I can call them, I thought it might not be nice to ask if I can use my Fox shim kit with their shocks. From what I’ve read, walkers use 7/16 ID shims and the Fox are 1/2”.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,508 Posts
:flipoff2: Thanks Frank. I can call them, I thought it might not be nice to ask if I can use my Fox shim kit with their shocks. From what I’ve read, walkers use 7/16 ID shims and the Fox are 1/2”.
I don’t recall I have played with so many broken walkers shocks that they were hard to open. I blame Filarski when he was at Alloy.

·
NERD
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed with Walker the shims are 7/16" ID. I intend to make a thin wall spacer to convert to 1/2" Fox shims since I have a Fox shim kit ($$$). Piston seems to have enough meat to drill it to 1/2". I'm going to use the factory Rzr XP 1000 tune for now but I'll need to convert the shim stack before I can actually tune the shock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts