Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see a picture of an OEM softtop which shows the bottom fasteners on the sides. If you can't post them to this board, then send the pic to me for posting.:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ditto dat.. Gotta dig out the FJ40 and get that top on to keep up with the Board.. Sheesh this is an expensive hobby..
Vortec.. I've done some looking.. WestMarine has them as does boatersworld but haven't looked in a while.. Was waiting for my top to arrive! But since it showed up last night.. I guess it's time to shop again!

·
Registered
426 Posts
1972-1975 era trucks use four turn buckles per side.

#1 is 65mm (I am sure) from back of B piller, just forward of front vertical zipper.
#2, is just rearward of zipper, about 110mm out (guess).
#3 is center of flap
#4 is just forward of rear zipper

1979+ have a fifth after rear zipper.
I have a page with all measurements somewhere in my files based on 4 samples of 1972-1975 OE soft tops and one 1960's soft top (uses 6 buckles per side, with 5 on flap, one before front zipper, non past 2nd zipper)

My HT is on right now and cannot measure th distances, sorry.

if the gommets are on the flap already, install and mark the top edge for drilling.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Rick, how do the turnbuckles attach to the tub, and do you have to take them off to install the hard top? I'm thinking I can drill for small nutzerts so I can remove them for hard top use?

Gommets? Grommets, right:) Where do those go?

Anyone have factory literature/pix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
there are no steel peened grommets on Ehsan's top???

OE 1/4 turn buckles have one 6mm stud and nut on back side. They look brass coated.

Let me see if I can find the aftermarket link for them. They are $6 each from Toyota.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
chef said:

Thanks!
I have been looking but not finding much that will help, the parts books don't show where the turn buckles go, so far the lit doesn't show the top off.....I'll keep looking.

I did find the part number for the turn buckles
Fasterner Tarpaulin 65928 60010

BTW, the soft door WS is 68161 60020, pretty cheap, $12 each retail, E rated item.....prolly comes from Japan

soft door inner for window, 68170 60020.........F rated......fubar :( early hard door stuff prolly works

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
chef said:
Rick, how do the turnbuckles attach to the tub, and do you have to take them off to install the hard top? I'm thinking I can drill for small nutzerts so I can remove them for hard top use?

Gommets? Grommets, right:) Where do those go?

Thanks!
I have been looking but not finding much that will help, the parts books don't show where the turn buckles go, so far the lit doesn't show the top off.....I'll keep looking.

I did find the part number for the turn buckles
Fasterner Tarpaulin 65928 60010

BTW, the soft door WS is 68161 60020, pretty cheap, $12 each retail, E rated item.....prolly comes from Japan

soft door inner for window, 68170 60020.........F rated......fubar :( early hard door stuff prolly works

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
This is the best I could do, from a 67(I think) owners manual.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Pimp; I'd love to have high res printable scans of any/all that stuff as it relates to soft tops.

Print hoarder:flipoff2:

Got bookshelves in your reading room?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
OK, found this in a 65-67 parts book......this is all I'm gonna have :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
chef said:
Pimp; I'd love to have high res printable scans of any/all that stuff as it relates to soft tops.

Print hoarder:flipoff2:

Got bookshelves in your reading room?
I can do that(and the old press pics) but I need a week.......my home computer is toast.....it might not last till the weekend, new Bling bling Dell is here this week.....19" flat panel :)

hit me off line by weekend after next......just to remind me :)

the scans I posted are 150dpi......so if you right click save they are pretty decent.

no bookshelfs in the "reading room" but just got a nice set in the living room, grandpa made them in the 50s......vertical grain fir :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey Pimp.. Thanks a ton! I was about to go nutso last night trying to put the bows on! Haven't gotten to the twistlocks yet but hope to hit the boat shop and see about stainless ones this week.
Note to self! Must get taller garage!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
tornadoalleycruiser said:
Hey Pimp.. Thanks a ton! I was about to go nutso last night trying to put the bows on! Haven't gotten to the twistlocks yet but hope to hit the boat shop and see about stainless ones this week.
Note to self! Must get taller garage!
As I live in the Puget Sound we have alot of canvas/boat top makers around, if you need help with the twist locks let me know, I'
m sure I can turn some up. FWIW my boat uses the stainless ones, it sits in the salt water 6 month out of the year.........they look like new still.

also Tacoma Tent and Awning I bet would have the needed stuff.

I think I just saw the twist locks at West Marine last week.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts