Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running these yet?

I like the look of them, but would like to see some more pics, especially of them with the sliders and a shot of the interior.

If anyone can help me out with pics, let me know how they like them, how the install went etc, please post up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
x2. Id like to see how they look inside as well.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Wow, those are dead sexy. Very expensive though. One could make those for a hell of a lot less.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive seen the pic from their site, but was wondering if there are others floating around. and x2 on the price. I may end up trying to make my own. I do like how clean these look tho.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Genright makes something similar, but less aggressive so to speak. "Mini Boatside Rockers," for like $400 with tubework I believe.

...But like you guys already said, DIY can come out nice and is a whole lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I just started getting mine put on. I lucked out and stumbled upon a guy (thank you Chris:)) that had a prototype one-off set. I don't believe the shop that built them is around anymore. They were prety well thought out though, IMO. For anybody looking to make their own, I'd be more than happy to throw up some pics and give some measurements. Seeing as how I'm not exactly giving away anyones design at this point.

Dan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Peterson's 4-wheel & off-road did an article in last month's issue on these boatside rockers, but it was only a two page write-up with most of the two pages covered up with the picture in the link above. The article only had one picture of the interior with a formed plate that sandwiches the body to the boatside- there doesn't seem to be any attachment to the body mounts or frame at all, only the formed plate and fasteners through the sheetmetal are the only points it attaches to. DIY would be much cheaper as stated previously and you could make the mounts for the BSR tie into something stouter like the body mounts and/or frame. These rockers have more clearance at the rockers than the Genright's BSR if that was all someone was after in a bolt-on product though.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead cause I want some. Just found the article the other day but it is lacking info and so is the website. I realize I could build my own but this seems much easier and would look better so basically I am looking for the same thing, anyone who has them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumpitty Bump.

So after thinking about this more, I've decided that it would be easier to just make the money, buy these and use them as a starting point. I figure I can tie them into the body mounts somehow, and then weld them to the body.

I just like the look of the EVO kit, and although I could probably come close, I dont think I'd be as happy with the overall look of anything else. This rig is still a daily driver, so im not looking to go nuts in terms of functionality anyway. But I feel like EVO nailed the perfect balance between look and function. and that is what I'm after. I figure once beefed up and welded to the rig they will be effective enough anyway.

So, heres a bump to see if I can get any more info or pics on them. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I work down the road from Offroad Evolution. I have seen the boatside in person and they are very nice. The only problem I saw was that they are made for a stock TJ with stock flares. I asked if they had any plans to make and exstended version and the answer was no.

I don't know of to many people that would have a need for boatsides on a stock TJ.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not worried about the stock flares, as I'll be making homebrew front fenders anyway, so they should meet up with the EVO boatsides just fine. As for the rears, I want to do full corners, so it should just need trimming for that to match up.
Have you happened to see any with the sliders they offer attached? this is what i'm really curious about at this point. Also, I wonder why they bothered to cut out their logo on the waterjet, but not the Jeep stampout. I'm more concerned about that being a mounting issue, as the jeep emblems stick out from the rest of the body. To get a flush mounting surface (and to prevent rusting) one would have to go at the side of the jeep with a hammer it seems. It doesnt make sense to me why they wouldnt just take the 2 min to cut out the Jeep emblems too like most companys tend to.

As for your point about them being designed for a stock jeep, I get that custom fenders may be an issue, but I dont see any others with a non stock jeep. If I'm missing something, please explain further.

Thanks for the reply tho.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
WayneHartwig, one of my favorite vendors on the board, now carries a boatside rocker by Jeeperman.

Click the pic for the site, but PM Wayne for a quote.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts