Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a floor jack to keep in my trailer for a while and these harbor freight coupons keep tempting me so I went and picked one up.

1373778702241.jpg

It seems to be pretty well built and it picked up a front corner of my D-max without too much trouble so I figure it will be fine for my buggy. Only problems with it are it does not lift very high and it does not roll on dirt very well. I decided some mods were in order.

I started with the front end, these things come with a little 1.5" dia roller as a front wheel. That was not going to cut it in the dirt so I picked up a pair of 8" solid rubber tires from harbor for $6 each.

1373778760657.jpg

To put the bigger tires on I needed a new front axle. The axle is made from 5/8" solid rod, I welded a washer to one end and drilled/tapped the other for a 3/8" bolt.

1373778910648.jpg

Next up I drilled the holes in the jack out to 5/8 to accept the new axle

1373779067070.jpg

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I needed a center spacer and some little spacers to go between the side plates and the new wheels so I whipped some up out of 7/8"x.120 DOM

1373779364550.jpg

The side handle was in the way of the new tired so I flipped it around and drilled one new mounting hole

1373779478315.jpg

Now that the front sits 3" higher I needed to lift the rear and I also wanted to upgrade the tiny little rear castors. I dug up some bigger casters that I kept off an old dead jack, just drilled the holes a little bigger and bolted them on. It still sits a little high in the front but it works. One of these days I will make some new brackets to level it out

1373779690717.jpg

Here it is all done, it lifts 3" higher, is much wider/more stable, and it rolls over grass and dirt super easily

1373779853842.jpg 1373779867879.jpg

Here are some rough measurements on the parts. You have to be very careful not make the axle too short, if the axle is too short it will put a side load on the bearings in the new wheels and bind them up. Also pay attention to the wheels, the hub is not centered, I installed mine offset out (it will make sense when you see them)

Axle-10"
Center spacer- 4.7"
Side spacers- .300"

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After modding the jack I had the old front "wheel" laying around so I turned it into a roller stand to hold long tubes when cutting them on my horizontal band saw

Attachments

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Interesting. I keep wanting one of those little jacks for similar reasons - easy to throw into a vehicle and take to CL deals, etc where the seller has been too lazy or stupid to pull wheels they're selling, or other reasons you might need to elevate a vehicle slightly

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
are you planning on blocking under the jack, or letting the weight sit on those huge wheels?

Be careful, I can see the jack tipping over or those wheels folding up if side loaded.

I've been wanting to build one on a ski for lifting ice shacks on the lake.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you planning on blocking under the jack, or letting the weight sit on those huge wheels?

Be careful, I can see the jack tipping over or those wheels folding up if side loaded.

I've been wanting to build one on a ski for lifting ice shacks on the lake.
As far as tipping over goes it is more stable than it was stock. It just came with a roller between the side plates, I doubled it's width by putting the tires outside the side plates. The tires are solid rubber so there is virtually no "squish" to them

I picked up my D-max with it after the mods and nothing failed so I think it will be fine for my 2700lb buggy. I would not get under anything held up by it just like I would not get under something held up by any other floor jack.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Nice kit Andrew. Are you selling these or just giving us the info? I have a 3 ton Alum Jack that I would like to do that to, wheels are getting beat up and hard to roll.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tom, just sharing the info. It is pretty easy to do and I don't plan on making a kit or anything. I am sure you could do something similar on 3 ton but I don't know if these wheels would actually hold up to that much weight. I have lifted around 2000lbs with it and they held up fine, just not sure what their real world limit is

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This jack is on sale again. Amy updates on this? Ever level out the back?
Still working good. One of the tires split but I think it was a bad batch of rubber rather than overloading. They are only $6 so I just threw a new one on.

I have not leveled it out yet. I just got a mill and it is on my list of shit to make with it once I get it set up.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I saw this at EJS a few years ago. Thought it was neat.
That's a great idea when your hub is laying on the ground, or the tire is airless, and you need to jack up the axle :flipoff2:

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've seen a bunch of them with the wheels removed and a skid plate installed on the bottom the jack, no wheels to try and roll and they work in the rocks. I think I saw a thread with a guy selling them, built out of the HF aluminum race jacks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Alot of neat Ideas here but I hate the small HF Race jacks cause the frames always seem to twist and then are worthless .. I have 2 of them that are broke from the frames twisting .. I just upgraded to the bigger model and love them so much better..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts