Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. On my Series IIa trail rig, I have decided to polish all aluminum panels to reduce on trail rash. The palmettos down here are pretty unforgiving on a paint job. And IMHO, I actually like the polished look. But that still leaves me with the bonnet latches, the breakfast, the bulkhead, and the wheels. I want to use the Rover original Marine Blue, or as close to it as I can find.

What have you had good (or bad) experiences with, paintwise. Looking for a semi-gloss finish. Good corrosion resistance. And most importantly, abrasion resistance. I'm leaning towards PPG basecoat/clearcoat at the moment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Hey guys. On my Series IIa trail rig, I have decided to polish all aluminum panels to reduce on trail rash.
Are you serious?
If you don't mind buffing aluminum until you're blue in the face you shouldn't mind buffing a little scratched paint. :shaking:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Behr Premium Plus Exterior semi-gloss Enamal. About $20 a gallon, available at Home Depot. Touches up easy, cheap, apply with roller and brush.

You may laugh, but I have done 2 trucks with it, and it has held up very well. And when it scratches, I didnt ruin a $500 paint job.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Behr Premium Plus Exterior semi-gloss Enamal. About $20 a gallon, available at Home Depot. Touches up easy, cheap, apply with roller and brush.

You may laugh, but I have done 2 trucks with it, and it has held up very well. And when it scratches, I didnt ruin a $500 paint job.
$500 for a complete paint job? Scratches are only going to help that situation!:D

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Faux mud paint and bullet-hole stickers. You might want to find some Miller Lite or Coors Light decals you can place on the rear quarter panels.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
:lmao:
I had to double check to make sure I didn't click on the DWeb shortcut by mistake.

Rustoleum Almond Appliance paint is an almost perfect match for the Rover Tan.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Personally I like to use other peoples paint. touches mine up quite nicely...:flipoff2:

can you smoke palmetto's ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you serious?
If you don't mind buffing aluminum until you're blue in the face you shouldn't mind buffing a little scratched paint. :shaking:
LOL! Mercedes; I'm not buffing it out. Just the polished "look", I only went to 320 grit. I may go to 400 by the time I'm done, but no more than that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rustoleum.

As for the polished aluminium, Ike had a really nice polished truck.
Ike is second in my heirarchy behind Bill for "God" status in Roverdom. LOL! Bill has a Polished series in inside storage at GBR. Shawn sent me a photo of it once. I kept asking for more, because I couldn't tell which series it was, but I never got any more. LOL.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Imron MMMMMmmmmmmm. Love that smell..............................

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Old Scout. I can get Imron pretty cheap. I am going to write down the numbers off of your pictures and get some quotes. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts