4. -Jake- (14)
5. Nodena Ranger (13)
6. poisonpancakes (10)
7.boardbysled (8)
8.muttly (8)
9.Texas4x4Hoe (7)
10.mulletmaster (5)

*not competing for the blue star
____________________________________________________________________________________

Ok this is it. I had hoped to get out and test this target out before starting the challenge, but since there appears to be enough interested in it right now, and also due to the TN group get-together, I'm going to get this started now.

This is the official 200 yard Iron Sight Challenge. What does that mean? You are going to compete for bragging rights and possible prizes (to be determined and most likely provided by me) by testing your limits and abilities to hit a target placed at 200 yards, using only iron sights. This is intended to create a scenario where you must engage a target using only the iron sights equipped on your gun. Optics break, become obscured by dirt, or lose their zero. Batteries die. Shit happens. Factory iron sights are a necessity, and their use is a fundamental of basic shooting skills. This challenge will hopefully test your skills to hit a small target at a long range using the absolute most basic shooting principles.

This challenge begins Feb 01, 2013 and will run through July 31. Posts after midnight Pacific time July 31 will not be counted.

Target:

Print the target out on regular 8.5x11 paper. Be sure that when you print it, that your printer does not automatically scale it. You can double-check by measuring the target, as it should be 8" across.

Place the target at 200 yards +/- 5 yards. Keep in mind that no one is going to be measuring your range for you, so an honor system is in place here. Don't dick it up by placing it short. If you do not have access to a 200 yard range, there is no alternative offered at this time. You may still participate, but your score will not be counted toward prizes.

Shoot 10 rounds at the target. If at any time you miss the target completely, you may fire again, so that your final target ends up with 10 hits on it. These 10 holes will be scored. Any target with more than 10 holes will be disqualified.

You may enter as many targets as you wish. In fact, I encourage multiple entries to try to best your previous score. Only your highest score will be counted for prize considerations.

For the sake of consistency, only the target attached in this post will be considered for prizes. If you cannot print this target out, you may use any comparable target, but you will not be eligible for any prize offerings.

Rifles:

There are no restrictions on rifles. You may use any rimfire or centerfire rifle or handgun, provided that it uses only the iron sights.

There are no restrictions on the type of rifle. Anything from a match-grade gun to a military surplus rifle is acceptable.

There are no restrictions on the iron sights on the rifle. Any iron sight is acceptable. This means iron sights such as National Match irons may be used. Any other custom iron sights may also be used.

Ammunition:

There is no restriction on ammunition. You may use factory-loaded commercially available ammunition, factory-loaded match ammunition, military surplus, or you may use your own handloads. It is encouraged that you list your ammunition used, and if using handloads, to list your load data.

Shooting Positions:

You may utilize any shooting position you are comfortable with. This includes, but is not limited to seated at a bench, prone, seated, kneeling, or standing.

You may not at any time use a bipod, or any device that physically attaches either permanently or temporarily to the rifle. This includes, but is not limited to monopods, verticle foregrip bipods, shooting sticks, sleds, shooting vises, or any other device that locks a rifle into place, or that fully supports the rifle.

You may, however, rest the rifle on sandbags, shot bags, range bags, or any other item suitable, but not necessarily intended to support a rifle so long as it does not directly attach to the gun.

Caliber:

There are no restrictions on caliber. Any caliber you wish to use is fine for this, just keep in mind that anything above 30cal may make scoring difficult due to the holes it will create.

Optics:

No optics of any kind may be used with the rifle. No scopes, no red-dots, no magnifiers, no lasers, no anything that is not a factory iron sight. You cannot use Back Up Iron Sights in conjunction with an optic, meaning that you cannot look through your optic, even if using only the irons. You can, however, use BUIS in place of an optic, just so long as the optic is removed. There can not be any optic mounted to the gun at the time of firing.

Scoring:

Fire 10 shots at your target. Only 10 hits will be counted, so if you miss any shots, you are free to continue shooting the target until there are 10 visible hits.

Hits on the paper outside the 8" ring count as 0 points.

Hits anywhere inside the 8" ring count as 1 point.

Hits anywhere inside the 4" ring count as 2 points.

Hits anywhere inside the 1" ring count as 3 points.

Hits that touch, but do not fall directly within a ring will be counted as the highest point for the ring hit. Meaning if your hit falls mostly in the white, but part of the hole is touching the 8" ring, that hit get 1 point. Likewise, if your hit lands mostly in the 8" ring, but a portion of the hole is touching the 4" ring, that hit counts as 2 points.

In the event of a tie in points scored, a winner will be determined by overall group size of all 10 hits.

Obviously, getting all 10 hits to land inside the 1" ring at 200 yards is very challenging, if not impossible. Many people would be challenged to do it at 100, or even 50 yards, but that's the point of this. It is a challenge. Don't look at the 1" ring as what you have to hit. Consider it as bonus points. Most rifles should be able to land within the 8" ring, and most skilled shooters should be able to land within the 4" ring with a capable rifle.

Prizes:

That's right... prizes. Hopefully this will motivate you guys to get out and shoot have some fun. I will personally provide the top 5 with a blue star for one year. The grand prize is yet to be determined by me, but I will make it something worth winning.

I will compete, but since this is my challenge, I will not consider myself eligible for any prize. I will keep a Top 10 leaderboard updated at the top of this thread as people post their results.

Posting Your Target:

Post your username.
Post your score.
Post your rifle.
Post your target, either scanned in or a photo of it with ALL hits visible. Place a quarter on your target sheet. This is to verify proper scale of the target.

Post a pic of your shooting setup, if possible. If not, it's not a problem, and is not required.

Link to full-size target download:

JPEG file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72333694/Pirate4x4_200yd Challenge.jpg

PDF file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72333694/pirate4x4200ydIronSightChallenge.pdf

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
In.
Still gonna go with the 22.
Kimber 82G, hopefully I have enough adjustment to get out that far, If not I'll order a stepped base for the sight and get there...

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
In. Time to see what the SKS is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Print the target out on regular 8.5x11 paper. Be sure that when you print it, that your printer does not automatically scale it. You can double-check by measuring the target, as it should be 8" across.
I can't get it to print out @ 8"... Best I can do is 7.75", and trust me - I'm gonna need as much extra target area as I can get :laughing:

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I can't get it to print out @ 8"... Best I can do is 7.75", and trust me - I'm gonna need as much extra target area as I can get :laughing:
Sounds like, this is what we will be doing tomorrow. :laughing:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I can do a PDF if you think that will help.

All printers will try to do some sort of "scale to fit" area. You'll have to disable it in your printer settings.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Sounds like, this is what we will be doing tomorrow. :laughing:
I've got about 240rds of 22mag and a henry lever action... I'm on it :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I can do a PDF if you think that will help.

All printers will try to do some sort of "scale to fit" area. You'll have to disable it in your printer settings.
it might, I am going to try another printer here in the office.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Try a PDF the biggest I can get is a 7.75" target too.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
As soon as better weather get's here, I'm in!

Is there any way to make this a sticky so it will be easy to find to print target's and post scores ETC???

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
You'll need to turn off the edges on in your advanced printer settings. Like margins for the printer. Some printers might not have that option. You may also need to choose a Borderless paper-type to enable that setting.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts