Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
721 - 740 of 1496 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I understand the need to have proper areas to provide my brothers and sister in arms with the best possible training but if at all possible I would strongly urge those people making this decision to find another suitable location for training. I have not been able to experience this area myself but I would love to have the opportunity someday.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am posting in support to keep all of the Johnson Valley OHV area open. This area has become very important to my friends, family, and myself over the course of the last few years. Niece's and nephews have learned to ride there, My wifes first time driving offroad by herself was there. Our group that ranges from 10 to 20 people at a time frequent JV many times throughout the year and at the end of each trip we make a point to walk around not only our camp site but at least 50 to 100' around it(depending on how close the next camp is)picking up trash. We've never been in on one of the big orginized clean ups but are looking forward to being able to help out in the future. It would be a shame to take this incrediable area away from the people.

Thank you.
Lance Dixon
Glendora CA

·
Registered
28 Posts
JV OHV Area

Please concider this:
“Off-roading helps build family foundations. It provides quality-sharing time. Whether it’s preparing recreational equipment together, anxiously looking forward to the fun trip or the subsequent arrival and enjoyment of adventurous riding together. It’s playing together, mutually appreciating what nature has provided, sharing the day’s challenges around the campfire, eating together and meeting friends. It’s leaving the troubles at home, and instead, sharing new family experiences. Parents learn about their children and children about parents. Returning home with memories of a time with family and with lifelong relationships built through this sharing of common interests. It builds values and character which continues for generations.”
FOGR borrowed this from something someone sent us. It says a lot and we liked it but there’s more to be said. Off roading is a mentally and physically challenging activity that is helping to develop our Nation’s youth into the strong and responsible young Citizens of tomorrow. Many of them will be our Athletes, our Engineers, our Physicists, Astronauts, Presidents and more (I’m not exaggerating). And, many will even be Marines.
So we understand why our military needs space to train our young Men and Women because WE DO TOO! Please do whatever the job needs. We only ask that any taking be mitigated equitably.
There are millions of acres of public land locked away from us in wilderness areas that can be reopened to public use. There are limited use OHV areas that can be converted to open use on BLM and Forest Service lands. There are ways and it’s to our mutual benefit that we find them.
Thank You
Mike Hawkins
Assistant VP
Friends of Giant Rock (FOGR)
friendsofgiantrock.com

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have never been to Johnson Valley but planned on finishing my rig in time for the Jambo this year. From my co-workers who go to JV on a regular basis and all of our customers who use our parts on their vehicles to go there and tell me what an awesome area it is; i look forward to the day to see it for myself in the near future! PLEASE do not shut down another area of California's OHV parks.
My fiance and I would love to show our future children all the wonder of this great state including the Johnson Valley area. Thank you,

Seth Howard
Poly Performance

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
First and foremost as a United States Veteran, I support our military and its efforts to protect this great nation of ours. That being said, I have experienced first hand that at times in our great history, military budgets and acquisitions are sometimes in excess of our needs. The proposed expansion of the training area for the Marine Corps Base at 29 Palms is a perfect example of excessive spending when available and pre-existing Department of Defense training facilities are available at nearby bases at Ft. Irwin and China Lake.

We the people of this great Nation have a voice in how the affairs of government should be conducted. The overwhelming voices from the people who use the Johnson Valley OHV area concur that the proposed expansion should be denied. Thousands of people throughout California and the United States choose Johnson Valley as a place of recreation. This in turn provides economic benefits to the local community and to the manufacturers and vendors who provide the products and goods to this multimillion dollar industry. The elimination of Johnson Valley for recreation will have a devastating impact on our economy.

My family and I have enjoyed the desert for decades. My father was part of the surveying crew that is responsible for the construction of Interstate 40 between Barstow and Needles, California in the early 1960s. My father purchased land in Goffs, California in the 1970s where we camped, rode motorcycles and our dune buggy for many years. That land was later designated to be part of the Mojave National Park and could not be used for recreation. Area after area throughout the desert was later closed, with the exception of Johnson Valley.

Please consider the many voices of opposition to the prosed expansion in this rally. We must be heard!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
To Whom It Concerns,

I understand the dilema on the table before us, land for our armed forces vs. public land for the community. I whole heartedly support our armed forces, but feel that their are other available options than the the Johnson Valley area. Please give me the chance to take my kids there one day to show them why "offroading" is in my blood. Please keep JV open for me and other's to have this oppurtonity.

"Hillbilly"
Brian N. Felts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
whenever a group of us all the way over in the Southeast start to talk about where we like to get to wheel "out West" it is a given that at the top of that list is Johnson Valley. Even with the almost 2,000 mile trip required for us to get there, "The Hammers" remains at the top of my, and many other off-roaders I know, list of places they just have to ride one day.

I ask you, with nothing but respect for both the military and the difficulty inherent in the decision before you, to weigh carefully the consequences of the option being considered. Please leave Johnson Valley alone.

Joseph Hines

Madison, MS

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
DON'T TAKE AWAY THE HAMMERS!!​

I have never visited this park & probably won't for another several years. But judging from all the wonderful stories & pictures, it would be well worth making the 2500+ mile one way trip. The expansion that is being suggested by the Marines can be made elsewhere. This year I will be visiting Moab but when I visit I will be missing out on some of the trails such as Dump Hump, Lion's Back etc because of land closures. The Hammers is one of the greatest trails in the world, please allow some of us to keep dreaming about four wheeling there one day.

David Ruiz
San Benito TX

DON'T TAKE AWAY THE HAMMERS!!​

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Over the years, many of my good friends have shared with me their countless stories about the awesomeness known as Johnson Valley’s Hammers. They adore this prime 4wheeling and recreational site and have created numerous outstanding memories there with their friends and families. I will be visiting the Hammers for the first time in April 2008, and I am truly excited to finally experience its greatness firsthand. I know that I am going to love it there and will look forward to returning for many more fun times.

I cannot imagine such an amazing recreational area being taken away from the public and from my friends. It would be a huge loss to the OHV community. It would also have a terrible effect on the surrounding communities, since many OHV owners greatly support local businesses on their way to and from the Hammers.

We really cannot afford to lose something as priceless as this area. Please re-consider closing the Hammers from public recreational use. It would devastate many of my friends and many other OHV enthusiasts. It would mean more to us and to our future generations than you can possibly imagine if the public could continue to have access to the irreplaceable Hammers.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration in this very important matter!

Very sincerely yours,
Gena M.
San Mateo, CA

·
Registered
3 Posts
please....you CAN'T CLOSE THE HAMMERS!

I just turned 18. Me and my dad just finished my truck. I can finally go to the hammers now and try to follow my dad up jack hammer or sledge hammer. I haven't been able to go yet. Our first trip planned is for the Tin-Benders Jamboree....Please don't take this chance away from me. Please.
I've worked so hard to build this 4x4.
Thanks for listening.
Ryan

·
Registered
554 Posts
We usually make a couple of trips to Johnson Valley each year. I would certainly hate to see an area as popular to the public closed to use. Basically the only reason I even go to California.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my wife and i enjoy going to johnson valley to enjoy the desert with many friends. it would be a real shame if that was taken from us. please reconsider the expansion of the base. alot of companies would be hurt also cause we wouldnt be braking parts on our trucks. i love jv.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It’s a given…the one thing none of us want to skimp on is the military. We owe our freedom to enjoy such pastimes as 4wheeling and camping to our services.

Surely, out of this vast expanse of land there must be a suitable alternative. Please give other areas another look. Let’s try to improve our military and save a treasured outdoor recreation resource.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Save JV!

To the powers that be,
While I wholeheartedly support our military, I feel that the Marine Corp and the U.S. Government would be doing a great disservice to the OHV community if they were to close and subsequently expand into Johnson Valley. The community of OHV users and outdoor enthusiasts that use the JV area are responsible land stewards. Please do not close this trail system as this would be a major blow to the OHV community.
Please show my support for keeping the Johnson Valley trail system open.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mike N.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
To whom it may concern;
I drive over 900 miles at least once a year just to get down to Johnson Valley OHV area. The Hammer trails are worth the drive time, the gas and the money I spend on each trip. I spend thousands of dollars, for food, gas, camping and parts for the jeep, just to be able to camp in the Johnson Valley OHV area. Closing this area will end my trips to the southern California desert area, as there is no other place on earth like Johnson Valley OHV and the Hammer Trails.

I don't know how accurate the maps that I made are, considering the maps on the USMC document are practically unreadable, but I scaled them to about the same size. Here is the "Johnson Valley Expansion" area near the Johnson Valley OHV area that is so valuable to off-road enthusiast from around the world:

The "additional area of interest" that would take away even more of the precious Johnson Valley OHV land:

Please reconsider the closure of this area, as I hope to look forward at the long drive for years to come.

Thank you for your time,

David LeDrew

WOW this is put together so well, it deserves a big fat R

·
Registered
507 Posts
Even though I have never been there I would love to one day take my own rig through the trails. Please leave these trails open and legal for not only us but for future generations. Best memory of my life was riding trails with my father in his old K5 Blazer. I would like the opportunity to share this same experience with my daughter, and nephew.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Saving The Hammers

To whom it may concern,
To start with, I'm not a person that normally reads or posts on this or any other site. Information regarding the possible closer of JV was passed onto me by a friend; I obviously feel passionate enough about it to post. For the better part of 36 years I've been an off road enthusiast in one form or another. Although JV has not been the only off road area I've enjoyed, its one of my favorite and obviously one of the most well known. This area has been the source of countless adventures and invaluable learning experiences; not to mention a vacuum to my wallet. The Hammer trails and surrounding deserts are the weekend destinations of thousands regulars and on the "some day" list for thousands of others. Long before this threat arrived, there were groups that organized clean up's and worked to designate trails; all being done in hopes of preserving one of this country's foremost off road destinations. I have been lucky enough to enjoy what it has to offer and have tried to expose as many people as possible; all of whom now feel the same as i do. It would be a shame to close the book before so many people even know it exists. My three nephews never tire of the JV stories I tell, it would be a shame if they couldnt grow up to share JV stories of their own. I am a proud American and support our military 100%; it's their endless training and selfless dedication to this country that allows us this very freedom. If there is something special about this land that will help them better defend our country and keep THEM alive, then please take it. If not, please consider how much we value this land and consider other options.
Thank you
C Kinne

721 - 740 of 1496 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.