Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
761 - 780 of 1496 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please leave Johnson Valley alone...... I have only had one oppertunity recently to go there wheeling on part of the hammer's trails and I enjoyed it so much that I am planning on going again and again. I have heard about all the events that take place there and I know several people that often go there for weekend get-a-ways. I would trully miss this land if was taken away from the public.

Randall Davis

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
To whom it may concern
I am hoping on running these trails in the future. I would like to show my support to keep these areas open for future offroad events. Maybe the military could consider leaving this area open to the public. Thanks Brody

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ive never been to JV but after reading the posts above one thing keeps coming up, Family. In this world today that word is slowly losing its meaning. Families are to busy, parents working, kids studying or their ipods are on. All the stories of family visits should be enough to stop the proposed expansion. The area seems to attract not only rock crawlers but ATV's, dune buggy's, motorcycles and any other vehicle that can travel the terrain.
As an avid 4wheeler and ATV'r I feel it would be a sad and unjust act to take this land. I understand the need for training grounds but at what expense is it worth it?
I spent 8 years serving this country and love everything about it. I travel every chance I get to visit as many places as I can. I hope one day to visit this MECCA and bask in its wonders and challenges. Please don't take that dream from me or any of the "families" that enjoy it as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've been building my rig for years, and have always wanted to make it to Johnson Valley. Please keep the trails open.

Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Johnson Valley

Our family has been involved in Off Roading since the early 80's. We've raced D-37, Score, La Rana, MORE, Bitd, Snore and D-38 in addition to owning numerous 4 wheel drives and other off road recreational vehicles. We've watched our child/family and our friends families grow up and enjoy the opportunities the desert has given us. Over the years I've watched our access as off road recreationalists shrink dramatically under the multiple use format. Access to our puiblic lands has been so severly restricted in some locations safety is a concern as special interests and development have squeezed the off road community into smaller spaces which keep being eroded despite a plan to provide access to off roaders under the multiple use plans.

I'm severly concerned that the most recent attempt to take a majority of the Johnson Valley area will devistate our access to open area for recreation. Currently in the "Southern California" area closest to the Metro LA sprawl we are limited to 3 areas which have been diminished in size over the last 15 years so that they are now a mere shell of what I used to enjoy when I was growing up. Under the current plan all facets of recreation were to be provided for and protected including access to areas for "Off Road Recreation". This new attempt to steal our lands in Johnson Valley will almost completely close 1/3 of the open off road areas that we are limited access to in the local 'Hi Desert"... In my opinion this is similar to the Cranston/Boxer/Feinstein/Levine land grab in the 80's, and just another example of a special interest being put before the good of the community as provided under the current plan...

Last year we as a family visited the Johnson Valley 9 times. 4 to race and 5 times for recreation. We brought a minimum of 3-4 vehicles each time, spent money in Lucerne and the surrounding local economy and in our group we averaged between 20-30 people for 2 days. As we are just one group I can only imagine the devistation to the local economy if off road access was eliminated or severly restricted in Johnson Valley. Further, the financial impact of restricting access goes well beyond the local community. Vehicle dealership sales will be affected, industries that provide parts, service or support to the off road community, peoples livelihood, vehicle values, insurance and the list goes on and on of those who will be impacted by a closure of our public lands.

I hope our concerns as a community are considered when making a decision of this nature. In closing I'd like to let those in the decision making process understand what they are really doing:

I know a young family that had very little expendable income. They owned a camper van, a few used bikes and spent weekends with friends in the local desert, Barstow, Lucerne etc... That family had little resources but decided that it was important to have that common bond between parents/children/friends and found that the nights spent around the camp fire were priceless in keeping them tight as a family. I know that if they had to travel a greater distance they probably couldn't have afforded it and under a plan such as the one being considered they might not be able to continue to enjoy the life they've grown to love... These kids are now grown but continue to enjoy the opportunities they grew up with, with the same family and friends. No drug issues, jail time or arrest records, they're not perfect but a bit more down to earth than people I know who's family have never shared in the type of experience I'm describing. I hope their and my grandchildren have the opportunity to experience the joy we and our famlies have had in our open deserts. I really cannot fathom not being able to head out with my family to Johnson Valley for a weekend of fun... It would be devistating to close this area and restrict access from our future generations...

Sincerely,

Jeff Cepielik/Gema Ptasinski/Jason Cepielik/Jimmy Taranto
ACME/CEPIELIK Off Road Racing, ACME World Alliance Pit Support
Class 10, 9, 11 Racecars, 4 seat prerunner, Jeep XJ, Honda XR, 3 Honda 50's, 32' Winnibago, 20' Flatbed, 20' Enclosed, 2 boats...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have never been there but i wish someday to bring my family on a trail ride. i belong to several off road clubs and all of them do their part in cleaning and maintance of our trails. i served my time in the Marines and have supported them ever since. i look forward to visiting the hammers in the future with my family and friends. please keep it open :)

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
I thought about posting too may times.................Ya know I have spent many hours driving time and money to play at the Hammers......I have so many pictures and great memories.

I was even down ther last month for the KOH Race, one of the best weekends ever in off-roading for me.

Heres another pic from the Drivers and Team meeting last month.

Its a wonderful place that needs to remain open for everyone to recreate and enjoy.

Regards,

KC

Attachments

·
FU2
2,098 Posts
I just told my son why I was on the computer instead of working in the shop.... "Son they want to take the Hammers away" :(
I knew it was a special place for us, but to see him well up and ask why? Why there Dad?...:( Just broke my heart!!!!:(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Please do not take away any more of our places to enjoy our off road vehicles. I have never enjoyed a place as much as i enjoy being at Johnson Valley. i have met some really great people and made some good friends. I look forward to the times i get to spend there with friends and family. There is truly no place like this anywhere i have ever been, i really hope that when my kids are older they will be able to enjoy Johnson valley with thier toys like i do.
Stuart Crawford
President
Valencia Custom Shower Doors

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello.. Please keep Johnson Valley open to all.. My family and i have been traveling to this location for the past decade.. This is the one place my kids have some of the best memories.. Generally, we take the motorhome with the 4Runner on back.. The first thing they ask is which Hammers trail and then which mine are we going to see.. This is the one place on earth where my wife gets the nice warm weather, sightseeing, and peace and quiet of the outdoors.. My kids love the adventure in the 4Runner and rock climbing and don't forget the quad riding.. For me, this is the place where I can forget about my weekly job and actually escape.. If this is taken away, California will become like every east coast state because the land is owned by everyone.. The spirit of California is there are places you can still travel and explore without worrying if you are on someones private property.. Keep Johnson Valley open!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to start by saying I support our Troops 100%. Even though I live in Washington and have never been to the Hammers, I would one day like the opportunity to wheel there. Please consider alternate areas and leave the Hammers open to the public for everyone to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Please be Aware,

The area of Johnson Valley know as the Hammers is not a desolate uninhabited area suited for a Training Ground. It is a often used recreation area for many, including widely dispersed camping. A great deal of people will be impacted by any decisions involving this area.

Thanks,

Bill Stayner
Sacramento CA

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dont take away the Hammers! There are not alot of activites that are as family friendly as offroading is. I wheel with my kids and wife all the time and cherish every moment. Johnson Valley is in my backyard and we do our best to take care of it. My kids have learned valuable lessons from "tread lightly" and we practice that in hopes of keeping the trails open. Now you want to close this area to us and destroy it with war games. Please leave Johnson Valley alone!

Mark Trentham Victorville/ Spring Valley Lake Ca.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My vote goes to leave the trails open... while i support our military 100% this is just such a beautiful place to explore and have a good time with friends and family while exploring a truly great trail system.... my vote goes to leave johnson valley OHV area open for our kids to enjoy....

Tim D.
Albany, OR

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd like to run Johnson Valley sometime, but being from the east coast, it'll be a few years.

I'd like to see it still there when I take my "Midlife Crisis Tour" of all the good wheelin' that this country has left to offer.

There's PLENTY of other places the armed forces can blow up, don't do it to JV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep Public Lands Open To The Public!

When I lived in SoCal I visited Johnson Valley regularly. It was always a great place for family OHV getaways. I strongly believe we need to preserve areas like these because there is room for everyone in OUR public lands. Please keep these areas open and those of us in the 4X4 community will continue to "Tread Lightly" and lead by example to protect our lands and promote responsible recreational OHV use.

Thank you

Marty Johnson
Cameron Park, CA

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have not been to JV yet, but I hope to get the opportunity to go down with my club on one of the many long distance trips we plan every year. Please keep this area open to the public for our enjoyment and use.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have always wanted to go to Johnson Valley to enjoy the landscape and the outdoor experience that only Johnson Valley can provide. My close friend Dave has talked for the last year and a half about his trip to Johnson Valley. It was his first experiences to visit Johnson Valley. He describes Johnson Valley as one of best experiences that he has had with his friend, and hope that Johnson Valley will be there for me to enjoy too.
I fully support all of the United State Armed Forces, but I believe that the Marines can use another area that is not so beloved by the off-road enthusiast that Johnson Valley is. To all our Armed Forces overseas, I hope you all make it back safe.

Thanks
Justin

761 - 780 of 1496 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.