Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
781 - 800 of 1496 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have personally been wheeling Johnson Valley, specifically the Hammer Trails since 2002. I was living in Lake Tahoe FAR North of this area, but sought after more difficult terrain and the obvious choice was Southern California, so I moved.... YES, I moved to Southern California for the very trails that are now being threatened.

I have worked 2 jobs for the past 6 years to afford the tens of THOUSANDS of dollars I spend a year building my vehicles, purchasing tow rigs and trailers, and countless gallons of fuel!

And now those very same trails are in danger of being taken from us... I ask... No I PLEAD that you please RECONSIDER the area that you plan to take from us. People travel from all over the world to see and wheel at The Hammers, this is NOT just another sand hill or fire road... This is a MECCA like no other!!!!

-Matt Ruskow
Palmdale, Ca

Attachments

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
To Whom It May Concern:

I’ve never been to the Johnson Valley OHV area; however it is an area of the State of California I would love to visit one of these days, both as a unique natural area and as an area to get out with friends and family and enjoy our hobby. Even with fuel and gas prices as high as they have been the past few years, I know people who make the trek to this area from Oregon (my home state) and Washington. These people are willing to make the investment to come and enjoy the area; they are willing to make the investment in your state, by supporting your recreational areas. As the sport and hobbies of off-roading and adventuring riding grows, as will the revenue given to your state by nationwide travelers coming to this unique area. To lose this area is not only a geographical loss to your state, but also a monetary one as well.

Like stated before I have never been to the Johnson Valley OHV area, but it IS someplace I plan on visiting. I would hate to see my opportunity lost to come enjoy this portion of your state. Under these circumstances it’s hard for me to choose side, as I try to support our men and women in the military as much as I can, however in this instance I am siding with the supporters of this OHV area, these people who have worked hard and played hard for years there. Theses same people who strive to educate, better their fellow wheeler and make the area better and safer for all of us. I would hate to see these people efforts go to waste and all be in vain. There’s no easier way to lose the support of those people then to alienate them and make them feel jaded. The people who support the OHV community in Johnson Valley deserve a better fate then that. So, that is why I write, and why I support no military expansion into the Johnson Valley OHV area.

Thank you for reading

Carl Wiese
President, International Scouts and Trucks of Oregon

·
Registered
301 Posts
East coast guy here. Never been to Johnson Valley, but I'm planning on going there as part of my "wild west tour" someday. It would be a shame to miss out on such a legendary piece of beautiful land, with such a rich history.

·
Registered
76 Posts
DO NOT DO THIS TO THE HAMMERS, please keep our country open for the people to use, not for the government to lock up and keep for themselves. this is the peoples land, let the people use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is definately 1 of the top 5 places in the U.S. to wheel . I have only been once so far but always remember what a fantastic time I had there. Please do not take such a magnificent recreation area away for us , our trails become fewer with every houseing developement or freeway and we truely think of the Hammers as Gods Perfect Creation . Thanks for this opportunity and I hope to spend many years enjoying the Johnson Valley Recreation Area .

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I'd like to plead with the powers that be to not close the area that is home to the Hammer trails. I have been 4 wheeling for over 12 years and the Hammers are a haven to the 4 wheeling community. Last Saturday my daughter tried rockcrawling for the first time on the Clawhammer trail and had the time of her life. All the way home she could not talk about anything else than selling her car and buying & building a truck so she could have fun like she did that day. My wife drove the trail that same day and she had a blast. My son is 11 and looks forward to the day he can try it for himself. If this land is closed he will never have that chance.
In addition to the people that will be affected, also take into consideration the businesses that will lose on the closure. This is a hardcore mecca... people drive from across the country to challenge the hardest trails in the United States. This means business for the people building their trucks spending money on parts, and for repairing broken parts after the weekend is over. This money keeps the industry alive, which is a huge part of the US economy. I'm sure you can imagine not only the 4 wheelers that use this area, but also the quads, motorcycles and ATV's as well. To take this land would be robbing the American public of one of the most enjoyable, family oriented hobby areas in the local region.
The desert is a large place, there are several directions the government can confiscate land from. Please do not take this small but vital area with the trails we love so dear away from my family, myself, and my friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
As much as I support our Troops and the marines, I ask that you please rethink your plans to expand into the Johnson Valley OHV park.
It is a wonderful place for off road recreation and would be greatly missed by everyone.

Dave Sherron
15007 Spruce Grove Rd.
Middletown, Ca. 95461
707-350-3066

·
Registered
212 Posts
To whom it may concern,

I have been lucky enough to have been to the Hammers a couple of years ago. It was by far the best wheeling that I have ever had the chance to do. As I haven’t had the chance to return since due starting a family, I really hope one day to be able to return and experience the wonderful area with my family. I understand the need for proper training facility for the military but I really hope that you will be able to keep the Johnson Valley OHV area open.

Thank you for your time.

Craig Baum
Folsom, Ca

Rock Zombies 4x4 Member
www.rockzombies4x4.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
To whom it may concern,

I have never been to the Hammers, but I would hate to see the sport that I love losing yet another area for OHV use. OHV is here to stay. The number of off-roaders increases every year, along with the number of companies supporting OHV use. As this sport continues to expand, the worst possible thing would be to close down more OHV parks. If anything, more OHV parks should be opened in order to promote responsible land use. So please, do not close down the Hammers.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I have not had the pleasure of wheeling in Johnson Valley as yet. I have been wanting to plan a trip there for sometime. I hope this effort by the offroad community will in some way help keep this amazing area open for all of us to enjoy responsibly.

Thank you,
James Lemrick
Idaho Offroad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good day to everyone,

I am a veteran of the U.S. Army (1998-2004) and I fully support the U.S. Marine Corps and their need for top notch training facilities. However, I am also an avid four wheeler and value the public land that we have as well. We fight the environmental groups to keep the public lands open for off road enthusiasts and it is troubling to me to have to stand up and fight for land against the military.

I have not been to Johnson Valley so I don't have any stories or pictures to share but this is my story: I separated from the Army in December 2004 and my wife and I decided to move to Las Vegas. A lot of my decision was based upon the availability of public land to go four wheeling on, something we don't have in the midwest where I am from. I literally dream of going to the Hammers. I read every trail report on Pirate, look at every picture that is posted and get excited about the day that I will have a truck and trailer to haul my Jeep down there. Now with the proposed closure, my dreams are in limbo.

Thank you,

Tony Briley
Las Vegas, NV

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If you're not within the OHV community it's likely difficult to understand why so many of us care about a rock-pile like Johnson Valley.

It's an area that truly must be experienced to be understood, the crystal clear sunrises, long shadows across the valley at dusk, a pitch-black sky filled with millions of stars, the miles and miles of untamed wilderness begging to be explored.

Please take the time to learn about how dedicated we are to preserving this area and how much enjoyment it provides to millions of visitors.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have never been to the hammers...
But shuting it down would be like..

like taking away a national park :evil:

Dont do it please and thank you... :mr-t:

·
Registered
84 Posts
This has been on my list of places to go for years as I am sure it has for many. Closing it down would be another blow for our hobby and rights as citizens

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Please Keep Johnson Valley Open

I would like to second all the heartfelt comments about why Johnson Valley is important to our family. We have been four wheeling and camping as a family for 15 years.

I will never forget our first experience at The Hammers with our Las Vegas based club Southern Nevada Landcruisers in 1997. We have been to the Johnson Valley OHV area several times since then, including holidays that would normally be spent with conventional family. The folks we've met during the years on these trips have become our extended families in many ways. We have enjoyed barbecuing with friends at Means dry lake and even trail riding by moonlight.

We have raised our children around these wholesome recreational activities. Offroading has become much more than driving a Jeep off the pavement. It has become a lifestyle for our family and an enjoyable way of spending quality time with our children. While other kids are playing video games, topping the obesity charts, and generally have a lack of parental supervision and guidance, our kids enjoy the outdoors and are healthy and happy because of it.

We have taught our children to respect our environment and to "pack it in, pack it out". Our kids will surely grow up to teach their children the same principals, and will become valuable members of their communities as adults. I believe this is all possible because of the family experiences we've shared in Johnson Valley and other offroad recreational areas.

Please consider the the long-term affects the closure will have on our children. In a time where there are more obese children than any other time and children lack true interaction with their family because of cell phones and video games, PLEASE don't take away the thing that keeps our family healthy and our children feeling loved.

Please keep Johnson Valley OHV area open for our whole extended family and for the future generations to come. I really do mean this sincerely, as offroading really IS a way of life for us.

Sincerely,

Nicole Johnson
Las Vegas, NV

Married, 34 years old, Mother of Two Boys (7 & 9), Small Business Owner, Born and Raised in California
Member: Friends of Eldorado

A Pretty Rainbow over Johnson Valley, February 2008

·
Registered
396 Posts
I scouted, located and built the trails in the Hartwell Hills that are under question today. I had a lot of help from my club, the Victor Valley Four Wheelers and we are still building more trails today. Punching through most of these canyons, required hundreds if not thousands of man hours of back breaking work that ninety-nine percent of four wheelers don't even want to do.
Remember in the 90's, we had to build the trail to allow passage by 33 inch tires which was used by most of the registrants at our Fun In the Desert event.
We labored on, adding one or more new trails each year until about 1999. The fruits of our labors would be the love of so many hard working lower and middle class Americans who came to enjoy the hardest 4WD trails in the west.
In picking these mountains, we knew our investment would be safe since we were on official OHV territory. A piece of land where we could drive whatever we want wherever we want. Not a piece of land for Feinstein's 10 million acre preserve or Clinton's roadless forests or any number of rabid environmental groups closing more land using activist judges appointed by activist politicians. A piece of land for us. Investment made. It's ours. The Marines have to have other options.

·
Always Late
995 Posts
To whomever is listening;
For the past several years My family and I have enjoyed the many times we travel out to Johnson Valley, there is not a place in the world like it. We are very supportive of the Military, as my brother in law, is very much an active part of our efforts in Iraq. I look forward to the day when I can sit passenger in the seat of my sons rig, and point out which line his dad would take! Johnson Valley is very close to our home, and a place that I know is not to be taken for granted. We as a family support the continued efforts of keeping this OHV area open for many years to come.

781 - 800 of 1496 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.