Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
701 - 720 of 957 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
It would be a terrible loss to lose upper tellico. It is one of the few pristine and highly respected wheeling areas left this close to ohio.

This summer I was making plans to go to the town, Spend alot of money in gas, food, lodging.

I wish people of the community would be here to support their own tourism revenue, but sadly, most will not miss it until it is gone.

Thanks for the Chance Pirate4x4.....

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Although I am fortunate enough to have many off-road designated areas close to where I now live, I am posting this to protest the lawsuit that may close the famous Tellico trail system. The off-road community is active in land use issues throughout the United States, and will work hand in hand with the land managers for responsible usage. It would truly be a shame if this well established recreational area was lost.

Thank you for you consideration.

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
with all the problems this world faces today i can't imagine a group of friends and family enjoying a trail ride as being one of them. i have never been to tellico, but over the last 10 or so years i have seen hundreds of images that make me want to live near a place like that. i don't understand why there are so many people who devote their lives to trying to take away other peoples pastimes. if our four wheel drive vehicles are doing so much damage, what about the hundreds of thousands of earth moving equipment constantly grading, plowing, demolishing just to build new shopping centers so companies like walmart and starbucks can flourish? i can live without starbucks but i refuse to live without the right to enjoy the great american pastime of offroading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PLEASE KEEP UPPER TELLICO OPEN! My family and I love camping and wheeling and we do it in a very responsible manor. Everytime we are on any four wheeling excursion, we pick up any trash we might come across. We love the pure clean experience of riding trails through the forests seeing wildlife in their natural habitat, getting off the trail and out of our rig for exploring. Then night time comes and we've pitched our tent with only the sounds of the forest and the occasional owls' hoot to break the silence. No we're not jammed into a small little camp site having to share our experience with a hundred other families. We always come home refreshed and recharged.

Though we have not yet experienced Upper Tellico, we look forward to it. We live in the Richmond, Virginia area and often hear tales of the greatness that Upper Tellico offers to us and others who love wheeling. allowing such an important place as Upper Tellico to remain open to all is extremely important. Allowing wheelers many different places to wheel will lessen any impact on just the few that remain open. Adding more places like Upper Tellico is a better way to deal with any impact on one spot.
SAVE UPPER TELLICO!! Thank-you

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
I have yet to make it to Tellico, but I have heard it is a great place to go. It is and has been on my list of places to wheel, sightsee and spend my money. We do not need another place closed. As I see it off roaders are not being included in the "equal access for all plan". Please do not close it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have never been to Tellico before, but it is on my list of places to go. I know lots of people who have spend lots of time enjoying the Tellico trail system, and I look forward to making the trip from California to Tellico to spend my money there, and enjoy everything the area has to offer.

PLEASE KEEP TELLICO OPEN!!

·
Vendor
1,341 Posts
I have not been to Tellico, it is at the top of my list of places I have not had the pleasure of visiting. I hope it stays open so my family and I will be able to make a trip we have talked about for so many years.

Scott

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Keep Tellico open , I have nothing witty or clever to say , I have never been out there , but it sure would be a nice place to take a vacation and spend some quality time with family and friends

KEEP TELLICO OPEN

·
Registered
133 Posts
Please keep Tellico OPEN! This is a place that I have dreamed of going to for a long time now. Please dont kill this dream. Keep it open, for the people and the economy surrounding.
Wes

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ive been going to Tellico for at least the past 8yrs. My family (wife and 2 daughters) like going with me in the summer and fall to camp out. My first trip was in my bone stock 1999 Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is since gone, but I still love going to Tellico in my 1985 Toyota 4Runner. I know every trail like the back of my hand and enjoy driving, riding along while someone else drives my truck and helping out others anytime I can. Ive met many people from other places just by going to Tellico and everyone I've met I would call a friend. If Tellico closes it will be a sad day and a disappointment to Offroaders across the Eastern U.S. PLEASE KEEP TELLICO OPEN.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Proper and responsible land management does not equate to trail closures and non-use.
Keep Tellico open !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please consider that these areas provide many families the opportunity to spend time together within a community that may not otherwise exist if these types of recreational areas were closed.

The areas allow for the legal and safe use of off road lands that may not be available in other places and thus reduces the amount of undesirable land use where not permitted.

Furthermore, my club, Carolina Broncos, has visited this area and the benefits to the club and its members are priceless.The opportunity to teach our and friends and family how to properly utilize the land in a manner which is fun, legal, safe, and respectful is a very fulfilling experience and I hope that we do not lose that privilege so that these lessons may be passed on to future generations.

Respectfully,
Mike Chuzie
LT- US Air Force

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
To whom it may concern.
My family and I have enjoyed Tellico since we were first stationed down South in 2003. It was then, and still is now an absolutely amazing place to ride. The trails are some of the best the East coast and even the US have to offer.
The four wheel drive trips and jamborees that I have attended at Tellico OHV have all been a great time. They always seem to attract a real good crowd of family friendly folks that actually seem to care more for the trails then the average joe. On most of the trail rides that I have attended, the OHV riders were picking up trash wherever they saw it trying to keep this beautiful land as clean as could be.
I've had some great times at Tellico, and now that I have recently moved into the area again I am certainly looking forward to enjoying the trails again. My children are starting to get old enough now that they have become interested in participating in the trail rides. It would be an absolute shame to see these lands closed. There will always be a few bad apples in any group in our society, but as a whole the 4-Wheel community is a great group of people that certainly do their part to take great care of our Nation's lands. I truly hope that these trails remain open.

Chris Reilly
CPT - US Army

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
With nearly two thousand miles between me and Tellico, I don't recreate there frequently, but I have heard much of the opportunity available there, and believe that it is one of the crown jewels of motorized recreation -- much like Rubicon Trail, Moab, and Johnson Valley.

With such regional importance, it is extra critical that responsible recreation works closely with land managers for continued access to enjoy the roads, trails, and forest.

Though I have not yet been to Tellico, I plan on making it someday, and I put in multiple thousands of miles of travel each year to recreate in different places, so it is just a matter of time before I make it there. Let's keep it open for responsible motorized use, so that families can continue to spend their recreation dollars in the local economies!

Randii

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tellico needs to stay open for the East Coast.. My wife and kids actively camp 1-2 a month at various places around the country.. We actively support Tread Lightly, participate in various clean-ups, have an Adopt-A-Trail, and support all Politicians who support "Public Lands Are for Public Use".. On the East Coast the equivalent is OHV Parks.. The percentage of OHV/Off-Road land is so small compared to National Forest that taking away this little bit of property makes no sense.. KEEP TELLICO OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been there and loved it.

I am fortunate enough to have wheeled at Telico in the winter snow and summer dust. With my son, son-in-law and granddaughters. Until today, I have been a closet Pirate reader, but there are times we need to stand up and be counted!

We need to save this beautiful park for future generations.

I am also an active fly fisherman. I look at the water everytime I wheel Telico and cannot see where it is being damaged by our fellow wheelers. Bridges have been built, run-offs have being captured and trails are enforced by all of us.

There is room for all of us and until we save Telico, my efforts will all be on the wheelin side.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tellico is one of only a handful of legal offroading spots left here in the Southeastern US that allow Jeeps (and other brands :D) to enjoy our sport. I have been there many times, and have enjoyed each and every trip. It is a beautiful area with miles of trails to ride, and there is something for everyone. From mild fire roads, to the most hardcore obstacles for the truly brave. It would be a shame to close any part of this trail system down for any reason. Any issues that arise can be overcome through carefully maintaining the trail system (in which the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association has been known for countless man-hours of work).

I understand that the Nantahala National Forest is public land, and others have a right to have their voices and opinions heard, just as we, the four wheeling community do, but it is becoming quite apparant that the voices of a few seem to outweight the voices of many depending on economic or social status. I have read reports that paint us all as "a bunch of ******** driving their monster trucks with reckless abandon" through the trail system. Granted, there are those that seem to be out only for themselves, and could care less about trail management, but those examples are VERY few, and far between. The vast majority of four wheel drive owners are respectful of the lands we travel on, and we all do our part in policing ourselves, as well as others that may not want to adhere to the rules of the trails. I know that through careful planning and maintenance, this trail system can stay open for years to come, and for all to enjoy.

Here is a picture of one of many trails in Tellico. This trail is located at Fain's Ford. The water crossing trail is no longer there, as a bridge has been built over it to reduce the environmental impact of driving a vehicle through the water. It is just one of many items that have been adressed to reduce our impact to the forest, while also retaining use of the trail system that we enjoy. BTW, does this look like a "monster truck"? No, it doesn't, but it is a very good example of what types of vehicles recreate on these lands.

701 - 720 of 957 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.