Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OverlandJourney.com Suburban Build

First, sorry if this should be in chevy only section. But I thought that since its a general, all around build that General 4x4 would be ok. Move it if need be.

We have been busy at Overland Journey. Ive been working on our new suburban project. I know its not "Pirate Extreme" but thought there would be some interested in the build here. The goals:

--A capable world traveler (Expedition type vehicle).
--Diesel with a 650 mile range.
--Able to haul my entire family(total of 8 passengers).
--Capable of towing a trailer with extra gear.
--Comfortable enough that my wife doesnt want to go home after the first day. So A/C etc would be nice.

I started with a 6.5 diesel powered 94 3/4ton suburban with a 4l80. Plans are as follows:

--Custom Bumpers
--Sliders
--Exo-Cage
--If 6.5 chokes--cummins swap
--Clear 35inch tires.
--Dana 60 front if IFS cant handle the 35s.
--Electronics! GPS, computer, etc.
--Communications! 2meter and cb.

So if your interested in following along, subscribe to the thread, as Ill update it everytime I complete one of these projects. Here is how it looks after I purchased it:

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Looks good so far. Were I you I would definately want to do the d60 even with only 35s. While the stock front might be ok in most situations, it would be nice to have the extra strength of the 60 in certain situations where you need to use a front locker. I would be somewhat leery of using any type of locker in the stock front diff when you're half a world away from home.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Its only a build with a D60...with as much as that thing weighs, and sounds like its gonna weigh, a D60 is gonna be absolutely necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I was hoping you were going to say something about a CTD swap. While they are not THAT bad, I hated my 6.5TD. I had a 95 in a K2500HD, and I am thankful that I sold it. Should be a cool build nonetheless.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rock Sliders

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I can see this buildup post is a bad idea. Makes me want to keep going at this fast pace which means I spend my budget faster!lol.

Anyway. Today is the Rock Sliders! Again, you can find detailed article here:http://www.offroad-adventure-travel.com/rock-sliders.html

I decided that the round tube just wasnt going to be strong enough. With the weight of the suburban, I think it would just fold eventually.

So here are the brackets we built:

We used three mounts for each side. I really think these are stout enough, that the frame would bend before these give:

I decided that bolting them just wasnt strong enough. We actually drilled holes in the mounting plates, but I just couldnt see the point. Welding is not only stronger, but once I mate the bumpers and sliders together with an Exo-Cage, its never coming off. No point to bolting them.

Here they are mounted and painted purdy:

As you can tell between building the sliders and mounting them, I managed to get the suburban down to the tire shop and had the Super Swampers mounted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was hoping you were going to say something about a CTD swap. While they are not THAT bad, I hated my 6.5TD. I had a 95 in a K2500HD, and I am thankful that I sold it. Should be a cool build nonetheless.
Im actually looking for cummins 12V now. Not hard to find, but trying to find the perfect one for me might take a while.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Im actually looking for cummins 12V now. Not hard to find, but trying to find the perfect one for me might take a while.
get a cheap one and build the sucker! :evil:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are gonna break the shit out of the IFS with that much weight and tire on there, you probably arleady knew that though.

Yea, I do have a Dana60 sitting here waiting. Id like to see how long that front will last. I really like having the added ground clearance. Swapping in a 60 just sucks so much of that up.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I want to see the CTD/D60 swap...if and when that happens. I have a '98 K2500 burb tow rig and have been kicking around such a swap.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts