Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is what i got right now. I have a stock 302 in my 77 bronco running 38's with 4.88 gears. I have a 4 barrel edlbrock performer 600 cfm on it with a 4 barell manifold. I took it out this weekend and on any kind of hill climb it was choking itself out. Couldn't get it to run on the angles at all. I have taken it on some clims before but it was more of the foot in it the whole way. If I was just kinda trying to walk upo stuff there was a no go. I am thinking the floats need to be adjusted a bit? I have also heard that there are off road kits for this carb, anybody know where to get them. I have found some offroad stuff for them but nothing they call a kit. Thanks again.\
scotty

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok after further searching I will try to adjust the floats and see what happens but it looks like i will be in the market for a q-jet

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
As you most likely know the only real way to solve the problem is to fuel infect it.

I thought there was a carb that was suppose to run better at angles though just cant remember the name. Possibly the Predetor carb but that is a guess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will take a look. The only thing is i hear people talking about these q-jet carbs that are supposed to be great. I find some edlembrock q-jets out there but it's like $350-$400 bucks for one of those. Anybody know where I could get one cheaper. I just dropped $250 for the performer I have now. I wonder if they would take it back? hmmmm. Anyways, I have seen there are a few different q-jet types out there. Anybody have some ideas on this or other off road carbs that don't cost an arm and a leg. I mean dam I have a FI 302 I could put in if for $550. I am trying to go the easy route and see if I can get this thing going how I want it. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
before you spend money on another crappy carb-

get the spring loaded needle and seat (offroad kit) and get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. once you have the floats set were you want them and the offroad kit installed, set fuel pressure on 2psi and take it out and see how it does. this will stop 75% of your off-idle flooding problem. i run mine on 2psi and with a stout windsor it will run up to 3800rpms before it starves out (on level ground). FPR is a Purolator and was about $20. offroad kit is around $12 i think. before you go spend $300-400, try spending $32. put the $300 in the bank for EFI whenever you get the chance. im willing to bet it will work just as good as, if not better than the Qjet or Truckavenger.

and BTW, the stock junk Motorcraft 2 barrel is actually the best at running off angle.

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
I had one of those shit performers on my chevy. Sitting on a hill next to my buddy who had a Q-jet, Mine would load up and stall and wouldn't restart till it was on level ground, his could sit there for hours.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks allot guys and 45acp, I will try this and let you know how it works. Deff. worth it if it does.
Also, I'm still trying to figure out if there are other Q-jet carbs out there that are not edelbrock that don't cost 3-400 bucks. I have seen them but I need one for a ford. All of the ones I have seen were on chevy's or or new 5.0's. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
45acp hit the nail on the head. I have a 400 carter on my 258 YJ and ran into the same problems offroad. One more thing to try other than what 45acp suggested, run your bowls at around half-full. The fule pressure is the single biggest thing that you can do. Like 45acp I run my pressure as low as my regulator will allow which is 1-2 psi.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is the way to go for me right now. I will try it out. Also what should the presure be when I am on the road. 5-7?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go with 5 psi. The needle and seat on edlbrock/carter cards are not as strong as hollys and they do not require any more than 5 psi to keep the bowls full. One thing to watch for is a lean condition at highway speeds if you do run the bowls at half as I recomended earlier. I would use half as a start point and go up in small incraments as necessary.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Q-jet you want is a Rochester. I run one on my SB Chevy powered CJ-5 and go the same places that the fuel injected guys do. It also gets me 22mpg on the highway. The only problem with them is you need to have someone who is familiar with them do the rebuilds, unless you think you can handle it. There's lots of little parts and it's easy to miss something. The best place to find one is on most GM V-8 engines 72-85 if my brain is working right. :cool:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Find a friend with a good running Qjet on his car/truck and trade him straight across. He will get more power on the street and you'll get a better offroad carb. BTW Fords did come with quadrajets...back in the day.

I had a carter and there is no comparison to the quadrajet for offroad use.

With the carter I went and got the spring loaded needle seats only to find out my carb already had them. They obviously didn't make much difference. I also lowered the floats (had them stick up a couple of times too which totally floods the engine), and the pressure regulator etc etc.
With a V-8 your easily going to rev it past 3800 so even though that setup works for 45acp it might not work for you...depending on your driving style.
45acp is right about the 2barrel working pretty good. A friend of mine uses it on his 304 in his jeep and it works good but won't flow enough cfms for me to use it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rochester is the ones i saw. i saw a site on the net where I cold get one for about $160 bucks or so. I just didn't know which one to get to go with my motor cause they all look like they were for chevys. They are also all over ebay, but i didn't know which one would work on a 77 ford 302? I want it to be able to bolt up to my manifold.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,759 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I would asume that it would. As you can tell I don't know alot about carbs. My buddy has been helping me out with it. It has the edelbrock 600 cfm performer auto choke carb on it right now and I know it is a 4 barell manifold. I guess this sounds so stupid but I am still learning alot. Thanks for all the help.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,759 Posts
scottylook said:
Ok I would asume that it would. As you can tell I don't know alot about carbs. My buddy has been helping me out with it. It has the edelbrock 600 cfm performer auto choke carb on it right now and I know it is a 4 barell manifold. I guess this sounds so stupid but I am still learning alot. Thanks for all the help.
Don't assume, may aftermarket 4bbl manifolds will not accept a spreadbore. It requires a special manifold flange to work.

Is it a OEM manifold? Many OEM Ford manifolds only accept square bore carbs. I am not aware of any Edelbrock manifolds which will accept a spreadbore. It is possible if you have hood clearance to adapt a spreadbore with an adapter (~1" Thick)

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
As someone else said, the stock 2 bbl works great. But if you want a 4barrell go with the qjet as the edelbrock is crap. You need some sort of adapter to make it work on most manifolds as it is a spreadbore type carb. You can get a q-jet from chevy v-8s from the jyard, just don't get the ones w/ all the electrical junk hangin off. Also, go to www.bcbroncos.com , they have some things to help adapt qjets to broncos

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well It looks like I can get that one on ebay that has been rebuilt for like 20 bucks if no one bids on it. The adapter is like 20 bucks. So even if it won't work on my manifold I should be able to get the adapter and make it work, right? Then I am in it 40 bucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts