Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may just be dreaming, but who if anyone makes a one piece axle kit for an offset Dana 44?

Axle is currently on a 61 CJ5. It is 19 spline. Is a one piece kit made that you can switch to 30 spline?

I know the best answer is to scrap the offset 44, but that means a custom axle or switching from a Dana 18 to a Dana 300 transfer case and getting a centered rear axle. Either way more $$$$ than I want to spend now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not that I know of. Your only recourse is to go full floating, that is spindles and hubs and have Dutchman make your one piece axles. To be 30 spline you will need to either change your side gears (if possible) or the entire carrier.

·
Registered
863 Posts
find a 44 rear from a 70-71 CJ5. They offered an offset 30 spine flanged in those years. Or if you want to go wide, find a 44 out of a mid 70s Quadratrac Wagoneer.b That's what I run in mine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
61WILLYS said:
I may just be dreaming, but who if anyone makes a one piece axle kit for an offset Dana 44?

Axle is currently on a 61 CJ5. It is 19 spline. Is a one piece kit made that you can switch to 30 spline?

I know the best answer is to scrap the offset 44, but that means a custom axle or switching from a Dana 18 to a Dana 300 transfer case and getting a centered rear axle. Either way more $$$$ than I want to spend now.
i think dutchman motorsports makes replacement axles for a off-set dana 44 rear - he list's them in his catalog under jeep axles. phone number is 503-257-6604. he makes nice stuff- i built a reverse cut dana 60 semi-float rear for my flatty and i ordered a set of 11/2" 35 spline axles from him. i mounted them between centers in my lathe and checked them for run-out with a dial indicator the axle flanges and bearing seat's on his axles were less than .001 t.i.r. i have used other m.f.g. axles and they were not as good as these numbers- one particular manufacturer shipped a set of new axles to me and they had .005 t.i.r on the bearing seat's- buyer beware!!!...................

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
An Idea I've been kicking around is to find a 9" or an 8.8 out of a full size ford truck and narrow one side by about 10". Should get you to the size you need, remain offsett and get you a stronger axle than a 30 spline D44.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Or you could buy the entire rear off me. I have an offset D44 that I had in the back of my 65 CJ5. Has 1 piece 30 spline axles 3.73 trac-lock, 11" drums. Setup for either SOA or SUA.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
How much for the axle? PM me with a price

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Another cheap option is to go FS Waggy D44. I did that on my '62 CJ-5. Course I also swapped the front one out too, and both axles cost me $200. Would a been cheaper if I would have waited for the PNS sale on axles. . . .

Yes they are wider, but not like full width truck axles. Now whether or not you can use the 5:38's is another story

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Grandpa Jeep said:
An Idea I've been kicking around is to find a 9" or an 8.8 out of a full size ford truck and narrow one side by about 10". Should get you to the size you need, remain offsett and get you a stronger axle than a 30 spline D44.
You would need to cut off 14" to get a 7" offset. If you start with a 65" axle, that would make it pretty close to stock width.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Foothill offroad makes a kit for offset 44's. What it is is hubs and spindles off a Dana 30 front and then 6 bolt flanged FF axles from Moser or dutchman. If you get some caliper supports off a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4 frontend and the calipers you could go to disks on the rear when you put on the FF kit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
66CJdean said:
Foothill offroad makes a kit for offset 44's. What it is is hubs and spindles off a Dana 30 front and then 6 bolt flanged FF axles from Moser or dutchman.
Sounds like the old smittybilt kit. Not a good idea; the hubs never stay on tight.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I never had that problem when I ran that setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts