Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys and gals:

Those of you who have used both TIG and MIG welders:

1. Who only uses a TIG and would never use a MIG again?

2. Who only has access only to a MIG now and really misses the TIG?

3. Who says a MIG can do everything I'm ever going to want to do to my rig, don't bother with a TIG?

I'm talking about a home fabricator here, not production. Also, I plan on no aluminum or stainless steel work.

What I'm looking for here is a TIG vs. MIG debate..

-tom

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
TRD said:

it[mig] will do everything a tig will do

I would love to see a mig weld some of the aluminum I can easily tig:D:D:D for a general user I would say a nice mir would be used more than a tig machine...tig takes a ot more prep and is harder to learn...but it is really similar to oxy/acetylene...my next machine is going to be a nice tig because I also want to get a nice arc and tig machines are awesome arc machines:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
If your just doin some home fab on your rig mig is just fine,its fast and easy can also do aluminum, But if you got the skills to pay the bills nothin is finner than a beautifully rainbow colored tig beed.
+ you can weld all the fancy lad metals with thee old tig.
+ much better penetration

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Supergper said:

I would love to see a mig weld some of the aluminum I can easily tig:D:D:D for a general user I would say a nice mir would be used more than a tig machine...tig takes a ot more prep and is harder to learn...but it is really similar to oxy/acetylene...my next machine is going to be a nice tig because I also want to get a nice arc and tig machines are awesome arc machines:D
ok you got me

i doubt he wil be doing much AL tho

and he can still buy wire that will do AL, just more $$$
not to mention some people have a real hard time welding AL, i assume mig is just as hard as tig (only tig ed AL, never mig)

fill us in

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
well tig you can do A LOT thinner stuff and you can work your weld into the thicker stuff too...mig is much easier to do...welding aluminum with a mig is a lot like welding steel but MUCH faster...

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Dont even bother trying aluminum with a regular mig setup. Too much of a pain in the ass. Because its so soft, it really doesnt like being pushed the full length of the standard mig lead. Get a spoolmatic mig gun that takes a 1 lb spool and runs off your power supply. Also, unless you do alot of aluminum every day, you'll be wasting alot of your spools if you get them large enough to fit the standard mig machine. As soon as you open the spool it begins to oxidise and will negatively affect your weld. My advice, get a top end arc machine ( really like the Miller XMT 304) then get the mig box and spool gun, then get the tig add ons. It aint gonna be cheap, but you'll end up with more capability than you should ever need to general fab work.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I got a MM175 at home and a dynasty 300 at work. If you're not going to be messing with anything other then plain steel then go MIG.

I gotta say that I love the TIG for it's versitility and cleanliness. But MIG rules in terms of speed.

MIG is cheaper to run then a TIG and much much easier to learn if you are just starting out.

When it comes down to preference....man, nothing beats the rainbow of coins.:D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
all this friggen AL talk....

The guy said in his first post that we wasn't going to do any AL welding. MIG will do you JUST fine for anything you are going to do with your Rig. I wouldn't do anything less than a 175 amp and make sure you get a 220V AC -vs- 110V AC, it will help save your pocketbook on bill paying day. If you have the money I think your best bet is a Miller or Lincoln 250, you will probably never outgrow it. Money well spent that way.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Tig and mig are outdated terms for different electric welding processes. Tig stands for tungsten inert gas welding, mig stands for metal inert gas. Both processes can now use non inert gas such as argon.Tig welding is now properly refered to as GTAW or gas tungsten arc welding, and mig is now called GMAW or gas metal arc welding. Tig is lighter and slower to do and costs more, and is easier to learn because it is a slower process. Tig looks better when done properly, but isn't any stronger than mig welding. If you have time and money, tig is the shit, but unless you are going pro, a mig is good enough.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
TRed said:
Tig and mig are outdated terms for different electric welding processes. Tig stands for tungsten inert gas welding, mig stands for metal inert gas. Both processes can now use non inert gas such as argon.Tig welding is now properly refered to as GTAW or gas tungsten arc welding, and mig is now called GMAW or gas metal arc welding. Tig is lighter and slower to do and costs more, and is easier to learn because it is a slower process. Tig looks better when done properly, but isn't any stronger than mig welding. If you have time and money, tig is the shit, but unless you are going pro, a mig is good enough.
FYI-There is no such thing as inert gases, and TIG was originally used with argon which at them time was considered inert-hence the name. all the elements in the"0" group of the periodic table have full valence shells, which prevents them from readily forming compounds hence the misnomer of "inert"-dispelled in the 1960's...as compounds of some of these elements were created.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, before this thread descends into a battle of the Periodic Chart of the Elements..

Thanks for the good info. I think I'll plan on getting a nice MIG, umm.. I mean, GMAW setup. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be missing anything by not getting a TIG, er, I mean GTAW..

-tom

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Good call Brett, what I ment to say was that the terms tig and mig have been updated to represent the actual nature of the processes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Even tho the names have been updated, its easier to remember the MIG vs. TIG names, and although not accurate, close enough for the layman.

Kinda like Q-Tip vs. cotton swab, or Kleenex vs. tissue.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts