Pirate 4x4 banner

Which option do you prefer (having to chose one)

• Mobil1 or similar oil change every 5k miles

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Cheaper oil change every 3k miles

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Fawk it who needs oil anyways

Votes: 10 17.2%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know this has been touched upon several times before, but I just wanted to see how you guys felt when there were only 2 options when it comes to engine oil. Either change your oil every 3k miles with a cheaper oil or change it every 5k with a more expensive synthetic oil like mobil1. The cost factor definitely favors the cheaper oil.......lets hear it

·
Registered
182 Posts
I say 5k. But I'm a busy guy with 4 vehicles to maintain. 3k would just tax my pocket book more. I've met people that don't change it at all in their daily drivers and just trade their rig in once the warranty is up. Incredible huh?

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I'm on 6k with my amsoil in the truck. Had it analyzed last week, still going. :D I will probably change the oil in the next week or so and go back to regular Castrol. I just don't feel right having some guy tell me it's "OK". I will go back to 3k and change.....Easy.

As for the rest of my vehicles 99 explorer the wife drives, every 3k with Castrol. 69 cruiser, I change every 2 months or so. More if I am doing a lot of river crossings and crap like that.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
this poll is fawken :rainbow:

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
I try to change it at 3,000, but will go up to 5,000 or so before worrying about it. My beater Daytona's a different story. It loses about 2 quarts a month, so I never "change" it due to the fact that there's a constant supply of fresh oil getting put in it :D

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
Nice JU question...... :flipoff2: :D

Hey guys how often do you all clean out yer ashtrays?!?!? :D

change mine every 3-3500 if ya really wanna know.....

l8r t8r

-j-rOd

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
AXE IT

:usa:

·
Registered
182 Posts
jhama78 said:
Nice JU question...... :flipoff2: :D

Hey guys how often do you all clean out yer ashtrays?!?!? :D

change mine every 3-3500 if ya really wanna know.....

l8r t8r

-j-rOd
Well I try to empty the roaches out on a daily basis and collect them in my Roach Motel so I can roll a phat Heritage J when I'm needing to restock the Mason Jar. Wouldn't want the PO PO to catch sent of them while I'm Mobbin! :smokin: :rasta:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The best way to find the mileage interval to change your oil is thru oil analysis. Any other way is just a shot in the dark.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
is this really the level of tech questions you guys want pirate4x4.com to cater to? i like to think that we are more advanced than this type of questions or tech.

·
Registered
182 Posts
JeepinIan said:
The best way to find the mileage interval to change your oil is thru oil analysis. Any other way is just a shot in the dark.
I'm done with this thread after this 1 ?

What do they charge for Oil Analysis?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Man this thread is way too hard core I think it should be made a sticky:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
3000 or so on the dailys....and every 50 hours on the offroader. Not sure that thing goes 3000 miles in a year, but idle time adds up!!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
camo said:
is this really the level of tech questions you guys want pirate4x4.com to cater to? i like to think that we are more advanced than this type of questions or tech.
Yeah cause no one uses oil anymore. :flipoff2:

Is it really a tech question?? nah, but is it a question that people are curious about? Sure.

oh yeah, should it be move to shit chat?? oh yeah.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
just change it whenever Jiffy Lube you in the ass tells you to

kevin, what is with the :rainbow: post. Has all that ricer shit been getting to your head?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
What brand do you guys use?
I have been using a Wesson Vegatble oil for a while and its working ok (doing my part to help mother earth)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts