Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine is a 93 4.3 vortec w/ remote oil filter and its going in my 87 wrangler. my question is what are my options for getting rid of the remote filter/cooler. i got the gm adapter part# 3952301 and 37 dollars later it doesnt fit. i know ive seen this motor with the filter right on the block but i couldnt find any solid info in the search. i went to the dealer and they were no help (what a shock right?) went to the local speed shop and they are the ones that gave me the above described part #. and ive already bought my mepco conversio radiator. anybody have any ideas that i may have missed?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
just wondering, but, why do you want to go to an attached filter?

·
Registered
191 Posts
sceep said:
just wondering, but, why do you want to go to an attached filter?
Im thinking because GM oil cooler lines are worthless.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah they are worthless. but also it will make things easier for me (i think) in the long run. i guess if i could find a cooler that matched up to the fittings on the oil lines that wouldnt be to bad. but like i said i cant find any solid info on this

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread but I have seen that some of these remote filters have cooler lines, and some don't. If you have the cooler lines coming out is there a thermostat in the housing, or does the oil just flow through the cooler all the time?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as i can tell it just runs thru all all the time.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
just get a standard remote filter adaptor for a sbc from anywhere like autozone to summit and plumb it with standart brass fittings and rubber oil line hose.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
oh ya and the filter will screw right on to the block if you don't want the remote setup. just screw the filter on. no adapter needed.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
camo- i know you know your shit and im NOT arguing, however the sbc adapter doesnt fit, and all i get from everyone is a ? on their face :) The problem is that there is no threaded post on the block. ill have to take pics to show ya.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think the later model 4.3 blocks were different from the others in that they used a pipe threaded adapter for the oil filter that screwed into the block that has a hex on it for a socket or wrench. I'll check my buddies engine list and see if we wrote the p/n for the piece. got it at the dealer if that helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
anybody figure this out?
ive got a 97 4.3l, and it had remote filter/cooler junk, trying to put the filter on the block. 350 filter adapter didnt work, it was a little bigger. the two bolts and the bypass hole didnt line up.

what part do i need or what do i need to do to make this work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts