Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil idiot light comes on when at idle and then it goes off when on the throttle,I checked oil level and is right on since i just changed the oil this past weekend and the pressuare is also fine, 20lbs at idle and over 80 when on the gas since i run the LC Pro oil pump.i figured it is a loose connection and i wiggled around the wire to the sender with no luck ,could it be the sensor itself?
-

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
had an s10 4cyl with those symptoms right before it threw a rod. i would double check those readings with a guage off the motor.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you are referring to the preassure readings,those are the readings I have always had on this engine since built a year ago.Actually those are the readings your supposed to get with the LC Pro oil pump which is exactly what I'm running

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Leonel said:
If you are referring to the preassure readings,those are the readings I have always had on this engine since built a year ago.
i was. but with the light going out as you gain rpm....leads me to want to check that 20psi number and make sure it isn't really 3psi or something.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Pull the pan and check the oil pickup. I just had to clean the one on my '95, it was getting really low oil pressure until it warmed up, and it was very low when idling. When the pressure was low you could hear the unhappy bearings knock.

·
nice roach.
5,742 Posts
If you want a booty fab fix to up oil pressure, then take out the pressure bypass bolt/spring on the side of your oil pump and put a washer or two between the cap/hollow bolt and the spring. This upped the oil pressure on a bud of mines p.o.s. 22re for a while until it took a dump. Id check the pressure with another gage and then possibly clean the pickup/ rebuild maybe.

-j-rOd

·
Registered
275 Posts
Try getting a new sensor and see if that helps. Cheapest way of seeing what your real problem is. And 20lbs of oil pressure is a lot, I'm thinking the normal Toy oil pressure is 4lbs at idle.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Just had this problem in the wifes Van. It was doing the same exact thing light flicker at idle put in in nuetral light would go out. Drive and light would go out.

Her dad (a mechanic) was visiting and nailed it crank bearing going out. In addition though there was a lot of metal fleck in the oil when she took the van to get it changed and that sent us to the dealership immediately. They thought it was the sending unit but they was wrong.

The metal pieces infected the whole motor and it had to be replaced. Thank you extended warranty I will never doubt you again. :D

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Leonel said:
That will really suck :mad: :mad:

Are you saying you have checked the oil presure with a manuel gauge??? Sounds like it.. If that is the case and your oil pressure is fine then you have a problem with your stock sending unit .. They can get plugged up and not read the full pressure being delivered to them.. there is a small orfice that gets all gunked up.. If you have not checked your oil pressure with a sencondary method then do so..:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get a manual gauge and plug into whee the oil sender is and check it.,the specs are
4.3 psi -or more at idle speed :eek: kinda low huh...lol

35.6-71.1 psi - at 3000 rpm
http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

My photo album has the toyota service bulletin from toyota which shows these readings.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a secondary mechanical gauge on the truck but just to humor all you doomsayer fawks i doble checked and it was fine,changed oil and filter and that was nice and clean too,then i replaced the stock sensor and that took care of it!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
344 Posts
:D
See no big thang....lol

Good troubleshooting and diagnoses....:p

I meant a mechanical gauge by the way not manual...:rolleyes:
gary

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Glad yours turned out better than mine. It was only in the shop a month while the warranty company tried to fight us.:flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts