Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

installed my Atlas, and dumped the recommended 2 quarts of oil in it... the level of the oil in the site tube is no where near the fill level recommended in the 'manual'.

For those of you with the Atlas in the same (or similar) application... how much oil did you settle on? I know of a few people who had plenty of venting challenges due to over-filling, but where did the oil level settle once all the venting had stopped?

Oh - TJ, highest atlas rotation.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I used about 2.5 quarts, but then again I spilled some. I filled mine to about the middle of the site tube. If it is too full it will just puke it out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So at 2.5 qrts you had no venting of the oil?

With 2 qrts mine is low in the site tube... probably only 20mm into the tube... and I didn't spill any. hehe.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I haven't run it yet with the atlas. I just figure if it is too full it will take care of it by itself. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea... recommends to use 2 qrts, but I reckon it will take 3 qrts to get to the recommended fill height...

I think I will hook the breather up to a container/bottle under the hood to reduce the mess... maybe send the breather in the side of the bottle and leave the lid off.

I know a mate of mine filled to the recommended mark and spent the next 3 months cleaning out his engine bay every time he drove the Jeep...

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
mine took exactly 2 :p

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
while were on the subject, it's long overdue for my inital 500 mile change. do I need to order oil from AA or will some over-the-counter stuff work?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would be safe and use Torco. Ya its gonna cost you 10-15 bucks for the oil, but considering your atlas cost over 2K I wouldn't mess agound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts