Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been building my EB for several years... I didn't have any agregious oil leaks when I first took it apart... I've been driving it around some these last few weeks and have a pretty big leak coming out between the dust shield and the bellhousing, moisture at the clutch fork hole, and a slight moisture at the driver's side head. The oil in the motor is fresh and looks brand new when it drips. I also only have 25 lbs. of oil pressure at idle, and 50 while driving.

I had a hard tiem getting the oilpan to seal in the back the first time I did it... I thought I had it under control this time, but maybe not.

I am wanting to go on a trailride this weekend, and was wondering several things:

1) does this sound like it is a rear main seal?

2) I won't have to drop my tranny to replace the rear main seal will I? I was thinking I could loosen bearing caps without pulling the tranny. wrong?

3) Is it possible that I have failed to ensure a good seal on the rear seal of the oilpan?

I know NOTHING about motors and have had hell with my old POS 302... any Ideas guys?

Doug

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Doug K said:

I know NOTHING about motors and have had hell with my old POS 302... any Ideas guys?

Doug
It's 35 years old, what do you expect?

1) Yes, and the head.

2) Yes, the main seal and pan would leak in the same area you described.

3) Possibly, did you change the gasket or reuse the old one. If you used the old one, I bet that is your problem...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know... I know...but I like to run shit till it blows up. It's the last thing on there i haven't rebuilt or replaced. I took it to a shop to have it worked on...I am a pussy and don't have time to get it done before this weekend.

Doug

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear main seal...fixed... 250 bucks...damn.

Doug

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Watch out that you don't get too happy with the long pedal once you have replaced the rear main seal. I did when I put my 302 together and the rear main seal began to leak. That led to a chattering clutch (luckily it didn't slip) until I yanked the 302 in favor of a stroked 351.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts