Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bud of mine has a 22RE from an 84 Celica in a 84 4Runner. He has an oil leak which looks like its coming from the front crank seal. He has already replaced the seal and the leak slowed for a few days and now is pretty steady again. The only suggestions we have gotten is that the bad seal wore a groove in the crank. Does anyone have anything else we should check or a suggestion on what to do from here???

·
Registered
315 Posts
crank pulley

You can get speedi-sleeves to install on the snout of the pulley, it gives the seal a "new" surface to ride on. They are pretty cheap too. Napa sells them that I know of.

Jeff S.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The sleeve is Napa part # BK 6002501. Costs like $8 or so. My seal was leaking like mad after I did a timing chain a few days ago, but the sleeve fixed it all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have had poor success with the stainless steel sleeves. Yes, it stops the leak, but in time, it will come back. (You must be very carefull to install the sleeve straight).
Always polish the hub with 400 to 600 grit sandpaper and remember to pre lube the sealing groove with disk brake grease.
If you have a groove from wear, grind the leading edge of the seal, (I buzz it on a belt sander), until you see the metal of the seal. This will let the seal sit further into the oil pump housing and position it on an unused area of the hub. It will also save $$$$$.
Also, evertime that I replace a front seal, I ALWAYS replace the oil pump to timing cover o-ring seal. If you replace the front seal and used a hammer to install it, this could of caused the o-ring to start leaking. Sure, it takes more time and work to remove the oil pump, but the job will last much longer when the seal in installed proper on the bench, instead of hammered in crooked on the truck.:D

Marlin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts