Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my truck (2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Diesel) has an oil leak and i don't really have enough to fix it yet. We tried to use No leak during an oil change and it still leaks badly...

How long does it take for the No leak to work? Will I have to do more oil changes before there is no leak?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Where's it leaking from? Mine used to leak at the power steering pump, bought a kit for like $30 and fixed a seal and a couple o-rings, the dealer wanted $500 for a new vacuum pump housing to fix it. They also leak at the breather tube where it goes into the cannister and the fan blows the oil all over the motor. Otherwise check to make sure all the vents and hoses are good, sometimes they build up pressure and cause the seals to leak.

Most stop leak works within a couple days of driving.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
It's your power steering pump to vac pump seal. It's a $9 part through cummins, or 30-50 through most dodge aftermarket vendors (or 5-800 through the stealership). Takes some work and dexterity to fix though.

http://www.fixinrams.com/ sells "kits" with instructions and a dvd on how to do it. Not to mention they usually have the seals in stock while it takes cummins atlantic 4+ weeks to ship the fawking thing.

Stop leak isn't going to do anything and it will only get worse.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It's your power steering pump to vac pump seal. It's a $9 part through cummins, or 30-50 through most dodge aftermarket vendors (or 5-800 through the stealership). Takes some work and dexterity to fix though.

http://www.fixinrams.com/ sells "kits" with instructions and a dvd on how to do it. Not to mention they usually have the seals in stock while it takes cummins atlantic 4+ weeks to ship the fawking thing.

That seems a bit presumptuous based on what she described, doesn't it?

Yes, it could be the vacuum pump, but it could also be a whole raft of other things as well. With 315k on the clock, my motor leaks from every gasket that hasn't been replaced yet. Diesels seem more prone to leaking, so depending on how bad the leak is I would say that it should be expected and that you might have to live with it. Hell, it could even be the draft tubes dripping slightly and there is nothing you can do about that.

I do agree that adding a stop leak to your oil is going to do nothing. You need to find out where the leak is and take the proper steps to fix it. A web forum can't tell you where a leak is coming from if you don't even know or choose not to tell us.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
That seems a bit presumptuous based on what she described, doesn't it?
Yes, it is. But I would put $10 on it that it's the same reason every other 24v drips oil (noticeably).

:edit: But just in case, get some rags and brake cleaner. Clean all of the oil and built up crap off of the underside of the engine/accesories as you can, let engine idle, find where it's coming from. If you get under the truck and look at the power steering/hydroboost pump where it connects to the vac pump, that's where it's common to leak. Or possibly through the breather tube coming from the valve cover. (or the timing cover)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thank you for your help...i'm not sure about the parts on my truck as much as i am on my car, so that's why i needed help...i own a 1971 dodge dart and yes it's a 4 door but it's still an awesome car...i am working on it right now...i just put dual exhaust on it...i'm sorry if i'm boring you i'm new at this thing and i figured i could talk to some guys that like mopar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thank you for your help...i'm not sure about the parts on my truck as much as i am on my car, so that's why i needed help...i own a 1971 dodge dart and yes it's a 4 door but it's still an awesome car...i am working on it right now...i just put dual exhaust on it...i'm sorry if i'm boring you i'm new at this thing and i figured i could talk to some guys that like mopar

·
Registered
260 Posts
If it drips near the front diff/pumpkin it's likely the vacuum pump seal. I bought the kit listed above, it came with the tools, a dvd and extra seals. Best money I ever spent, and it only took a couple hours to do the job.

If it leaks at the rear of the engine it's probably the rear main. If it's blowing everywhere from the fan, it's likely the draft tube/oil jug and it needs to be serviced.

If it's on the right side/turbo side then it could be the oil drain back line from the turbo or the oil filter/housing etc.

These motors all leak a little, it's when they leave a trail or a puddle bigger than a couple inches that you have to start looking hard.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You never know. Sometimes you get new parts with updates, sometimes you get what was laying around in a warehouse for the last 5 years.

Do you need to replace everything, or are you swapping stuff out.

When I did my seals, the vacuum pump was disassembled and checked, showed no signs of wear out of normal even at 120K. Only thing I'd like to do someday is upgrade the pump for more pressure, but I'll wait till the old one dies first.

·
Registered
241 Posts
unfortunately for me i have the luxury of workin on about a 100 or so school buses with 5.9 cummins engines . 12v & 24v ive replaced just about every gasket and seal on these engines from vc gaskets too base pans from frt crank seals to rear crank seals . with that many miles on her its prolly gonna be blow-by if it is lengthen your road draft tube so the fan doesnt catch the oil . timing cover gaskets and seals are prone to leakage . aswell as the oil filter adapter these engines were also prone to cracking the timing coverwere it bolts to the block right behind the cam gear . as mentioned before git yourself some brake clean and some rags and clen her up a bit . take her for a ride not far then take a look in these trouble spots .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting :laughing:.

On a serious note, if a person was to replace the power steering pump and reservoir, will the new piece come with the upgraded dual lip seal or is that still an issue?
I just did this repair on my ram. And had some trouble along the way (cracked mounts on the vac pump). In any case I spoke to the owner of fixinrams and he was very helpful. Also said that all his kits ordered from him have the new dual lip seal. Too bad my rear main still leaks :shaking:

-Steve

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
hey my dad said that it's power steering shaft coming out of the motor is where the leak is. he thinks. stop leak hasn't worked and every 3,000 miles we have to change the oil (but we've only changed it once b/c i've only had the truck for 2 months...)

so now what do you suggest?
Still suggest calling "fixinrams" at 877-349-6726 and he can help you out with parts and instructions.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My rear seal in my 01' went out one time. I also had a bad pan. all fixed under warranty. I have another 01' know. Both have had the same problem between the vac. pump and power steering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts