Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I did the same thing, but just used the oil pan from a 74/75 pickup or Travelall.

Solved my oil-starvation problem that lead to wiped out rod bearings under sustained 6,000rpm operation.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Ya, seems like too much work to me. But then I'm lazy, I would (should) just use a truck pan....

maybe the fact that I have like two or three of them laying around reinforces that :D

Good to see people actually working on their projects however :beer:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, seems like too much work to me. But then I'm lazy, I would (should) just use a truck pan....

maybe the fact that I have like two or three of them laying around reinforces that :D

Good to see people actually working on their projects however :beer:

I have one too, but it's a munched up. The P.O used some JB weld on it too. I guess I could have fix it, but first would need to find it, humm wonder where I put that thing. Do you guys loose parts for months or years and then while looking for something else go OH that's where I put that:shaking:.

Jeff said you gain about a 1qt of oil. The truck pan is about an 1" shorter in the rear sump area if memory server me correctly. Now that I think of it I could use that 1" to help with my tie-rod. I have not put full weight on the springs since moving the motor mounts back. I hope to get that done this week and then adjust the bump stops if needed. Here a pic of a truck pan and here a pic of my setup, kind of hard to see ( crappy photo) plus, all the different colors act like camouflage. But as the springs compress the axle moves back an 1" or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
When I measured the 74/75 pan with a SII pan, they were both the same depth - in the rear sump and front sump, but the SII pan has the bigger hump, while the truck pan has a very shallow hump.

Justin Rich was convinced he had more clearance with the truck pan, and it just wasn't so.

IIRC I run 6qts with my 74/75 pan. The oil is at the "F" on Full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts