Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like the simplest of jobs ever, but it has turned into quite an ordeal. I am trying to replace the main seal on my 4.0L XJ, but I cant even get the damn oil pan off. The gasket has just seated itself so firmly on the block that I can't force the pan off. I am aware that if I pry to hard on the lip of the pan, I could deform it. So, I am trying to be conservative with the force I am applying. The pan just wont break loose, no matter how much I pry or tap it. I am really pissed at this point cause it is such a seemingly simple job. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you hammer a putty knife into the gap?
That may break the seal enough to pop the rest ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
space is tight, but I will try a putty knife. I had tried narrow flat head screw drivers, and can get them in the front of the pan, but it just wont break the back of the pan loose. Ill try putty knife now.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
no tappy, just hit it w/ a rubber mallet.. if you deform it TOO much then go buy another.. it'll work like stock with a few dents in it.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem is you cant get a rubber mallet in there enough to get any force on it

I tried.

I can barely get a ratchet to swing enough to hit a short screwdriver

to much unibody shit around the pan

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you all know the torque specs for the main caps?

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
take out the inner fender well and use a 2"x2" about 3 feet long slide it up to pan and the smack the end with rubber mallet or small hammer this should give you enough preseure to pop it loose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts