Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a early 80's 305...hasn't been fired in like 2 years, got it fired up just for a few seconds...not long at all.

well the oil sending unit is not hooked up...the port is wide open, i would have thought that maybe some oil would have shot out of it...but then again it has been like 2 years since it was fired, and maybe oil hasn't gotten far enough up there to shoot out....is that at all possible?

maybe the screen on the sump is clogged?

·
Registered
31 Posts
by few seconds, do you mean, once it fired you shut it off? or once it fired, you turned it off 10 seconds later?

it should not take that long for the pump to build pressure, but it is possible that in such a short amount of time no oil made it out. How did the oil look before you fired it up?

If its known that the engine was fine when it was last used, I would change the oil, either put a sender or a pipe plug in the hole, remove a valvecover and fire it up again.

if the pump is working, there should be signs of oil coming out of the pushrods. If there isnt, there is with a problem with the pump itself of cause of the long sit, the oil has gummed up a bit and blocking things from proper lubrication.

HTHs

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it has new oil with a bottle of marvel mystery oil in the pan as well...oil made it back up to the heads and out the pushrods. it was night time so maybe some came out or something....im putting a guage on tomorrow...then we will know

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If you are talking about the oil sending port that is on the top of the back of the block (typical place for a Chevy sending unit) that recieves the same oil pressure as the cam - as it taps into the cam oil gallery. If it doesn't have oil shooting out all over the place you are not getting oiling to the cam - or the hole is already plugged somehow.

Same goes for the passage near the filter (alternate location for a sending unit) that one is on the main gallery for the oil filter.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was talking about the one above the filter...it is wide open at least it looks like it i can see threads. Does it matter which one i use for the sending unit to read Oil PSI

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Are you sure that you are looking at the sending unit port? It might be the clutch ball hole - threaded from the factory - but no oil there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
snoop dogg said:
so for my oil gauge, just go to the back of the top of the block on the driver side? correct
yep, there should be a threaded port right where the rear of the intake manifold seals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts