Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I forgot an oil slinger on my pinion.
got it back apart AGIAN.

does it go...

Pinion gear,big oil slinger,bearing pressed on, small oil slinger(not sure) shims behind the bearing race.

Wouldn't hurt the pattern if the pinion was in towards the ring gear a little more.

Used gear set by the way supposingly same R+P and housing. But i have my doubts I bought it in a cardboard box.

wp

EDIT: Dana 44 rear BTW.
What got me thinking was that the book has a picture of it in the Front rebuild section but its not in the rear and I just happened to look at the front by mistake

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
1) On your gear set they have numbers engraved in them that will tell you if they are a matched set one number will be on the side of the ring gear the other on the pinion gear it will also have the basic set up numbers liek +2, -2 or 0 or something like that, if they aren't.... good luck setting them up :D

2) I have axles set up both ways you described. In one front I have the big sling (larger diamter than the pinion gear). On a rear I don't have that large slinger. ON a different front I don't ahve that big slinger and it 'seems' to work fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The oil slinger only goes in the front axle. Then it goes on the pinoin gear first, right up against the gear before the shims and bearing.;)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you are using the slinger under your inner pinion bearing you shouldn't use shims under the race. The slinger acts as a shim. Older axles had the shim under the inner race and no slinger. Newer axles started using the slinger as a shim but it's not crucial that it be installed, nor do you have to have the slinger that goes behind the pinion seal. You do, however, need the preload shims between the two bearings and some form of shim (about .005) to start with to set the depth of the pinion. But, no. Neither slingers are requiired. If you don't use the inner one, ,you must have shims under the race.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well first off I said it(R+P) came in a box used(it did) cuz I don't think this R+P has ever been in this particular housing.plus the guy thru in a bunch of shims etc. after telling me it just needed to be assembled for the low price of $250 sans shafts,backing plates etc. OK jeep buddy :eek:

Preload shims....check got them

Took .060 of shims out of from behind the race. pinion had the big slinger behind the pressed on bearing but if the housing does not match that doesn't mean much.

Pattern was OK pinion could come in IMO so I am going to add the small oil slinger(.015) plus .060 and go from there.

Plus I am gonna sleep on it.

Thanks guys

wp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts