Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't flame me for this question - BUT

My daily driver calls for 5W20 motor oil, And I was wondering is it ok to use a different weight oil.

I know most vehicles it really doesn't matter, But the truck has is stamped in big yellow letters to use 5w20....Just curious - Thank You.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
being that new, I'd assume you have the owners manual? Read the section on oils, they'll have an page with what's allowed for different climates.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ford ran a bunch of tests and determined that the 5w20 weight oil will allow these engines to last the longest. That in no way means that you can't run another oil in it if you wish.

We get people all the time who insist on having 10w30 put into their vehicles as "that's what my 72 pinto took, and it ran great".

I would suggest only going to, 5w30, but that's just my opinion. Running another type of oil will have no detrimental effect on the engine ( as long as it not something stupid like 80w90!!!)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The new craze in 5w20 oils is mostly for gas consumption. The car manufacturers claim they have seen no extra wear from the thinner oils, but they allow for a .5 or 1 mpg increase. Fleet averages are important. You can safely run 5w30, or probably 10w30 in these engines if you run in the desert in the summer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is my opinion:

Run the thinnest oil that maintaines factory oil pressure specifications. The thinner the oil, the more places it will reach to lubricate and cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts