Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll offer a small reward.. I want to be shown this exists.. I don't think there is such a thing so prove me wrong.. I can't find any information to prove it actually exists.. Yet I hear people claiming so.. If you are the first to show me I will mail you a $5 bill..

here's the criteria:

it must be a gm 4.3L
it must be a factory setup just like gm sold it
must be vortec heads (the 8 bolt style that signifies vortec heads)
must be a factory intake manifold (8 bolt style again)
must be tbi

here is a thread reference with more explanation..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106489

notice some of the links i posted that refute vortec tbi setups.. maybe they just came in fullsizes.. that's the point.. i wish to find out.. thanks.. g'luck.. the more explanation the better..

btw, don't bother trying to search, i've tried..

another thread for reference:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60229

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
When someone finds the picture, I'll bet it says mercruiser on it :D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as long as it's not a backwards running motor i will count it.. :D :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Whatta ya mean with the "8 bolt" style? Head is reatined with 8 bolts?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LAME said:
Whatta ya mean with the "8 bolt" style? Head is reatined with 8 bolts?
ok for clarification.. it means each individual head has 4 bolts on the intake side to accept the intake manifold.. 8 bolts is referring to intake manifold bolting to the heads.. sorry if it wasn't clear..

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I think I have one sitting at home with a 4 Barrel on it, does that count? I'll have to check about the # of bolts on it. I do know that the valve covers say Vortec, it has a 4 barrel carb (wish it was TBI), and is bone stock. IIRC, its rated at 210 horse, and is a '95 model.

Pete

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
4.3 MPI - 220 HP
Key Features

The multiport fuel injection (MPI) system features high-quality, marine-specific componentry for unmatched performance and increased throttle response.

The 4.3 MPI features the powerful ECM 555 for unmatched engine-management capabilities.

New dry-joint exhaust system eliminates a potential leak path, reduces build-up of condensation and decreases the threat of water ingestion for longer engine life.

MerCruiser MPI models feature platinum-tipped spark plugs for extended life and reduced routine maintenance.

Engine Guardian™ proactively monitors and protects your engine from the damaging effects of low oil pressure, high engine temperature, engine over-speed or low cooling water pressure.

The Engine Guardian system not only detects and alerts you of an engine problem, it automatically reduces power to a safe level that allows you to continue operating.

MerCruiser-exclusive single-point water drain system allows the operator to drain water from the engine from one, easy-to-reach location for convenience.

High-flow cylinder heads with enlarged intake ports dramatically improve airflow throughout the engine providing up to 10-15 percent greater horsepower output with for the same engine displacement.

A one-piece serpentine belt means easier servicing, less maintenance, unsurpassed belt life, and requires fewer horsepower to drive the engine accessories.

Compact hydraulic steering is offered as a factory-installed option.

To accommodate the narrow confines of a pontoon boat's center-pod engine compartment, MerCruiser® developed a tilt helm hydraulic steering system with hydraulic cylinders on the transom.

The compact hydraulic steering option greatly reduces the overall width of a standard sterndrive installation.

MerCruiser water-cooled and insulated fuel system, which eliminates the need for a return line to the fuel tank, helps keep fuel temperatures down and greatly reduces the potential for vapor lock with today's fuels.

Technologically advanced roller cam design provides a lower friction coefficient, improves low-end torque, offers higher levels of performance, and aids fuel economy.

Mercury Propellers® has a prop specifically designed for every MerCruiser application.

Remote-mounted oil filter places the oil filter within easy reach for simple, clean oil changes. Along with the easy oil drain system, MerCruiser MPI engines bring simplified maintenance to a new level.

Exclusive easy oil drain system simplifies routine maintenance allowing engine oil to be drained through a hose that exits the boat's standard drain plug hole.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pcorssmit said:
I think I have one sitting at home with a 4 Barrel on it, does that count? I'll have to check about the # of bolts on it. I do know that the valve covers say Vortec, it has a 4 barrel carb (wish it was TBI), and is bone stock. IIRC, its rated at 210 horse, and is a '95 model.

Pete
must be tbi.. horsepower rating sounds good tho.. :D

i have a 4.3 with the vortec valve covers.. but they are 12 bolt style.. not 8 like i'm looking for.. i think those valve covers are just a gimmick..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old Scout said:
4.3 MPI - 220 HP
Key Features

The multiport fuel injection (MPI) system features high-quality, marine-specific componentry for unmatched performance and increased throttle response.

sweet motor.. not tbi tho.. and i'm interested in seeing something out of a gm vehicle.. not really special boat motors..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vonski said:
Here's one that I think is both TBI and Vortec. It's from a 1994 S-10. (at least, it says "Vortec" on the valve covers. :D )
close.. but that's just like the motor i got.. 12 bolt intake manifold..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oldjeep said:

It's called a mercruiser 262 magnum EFI. Vortec 4.3 with TBI
that's cool.. can you show me what the heads and intake manifold look like?? what way does it rotate?? i.e. could it be directly swapped into a normal truck?.. i really wanna see something out of a factory gm truck, suv, car, etc... that's the point..

·
Registered
396 Posts
You probally won't find one unless someone has custom built it. When they did away with the TBI and went to MPI they changed the heads and intake. Ofcourse you know the later model heads are the "Vortec" heads but the intake manifold is different and you can't put TBI onto an engine with Vortec heads. There have been a few shops that can custom build you an intake to make it work but I don't know any right off the top of my head. I'll try to look it up tonight and find one of the shops that can do this work.

And just to save people writing time, we're only talking about factory GM engines in trucks not marine engines.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I have a 87 and 94 at home right now. The intake is different on the '94, also the lifter valley is a mess of extra crap that I haven't seen before. Roommate has my camera, so I can't get picks until Friday. I will count bolts tongiht, though.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeepguru7 said:
You probally won't find one unless someone has custom built it. When they did away with the TBI and went to MPI they changed the heads and intake. Ofcourse you know the later model heads are the "Vortec" heads but the intake manifold is different and you can't put TBI onto an engine with Vortec heads. There have been a few shops that can custom build you an intake to make it work but I don't know any right off the top of my head. I'll try to look it up tonight and find one of the shops that can do this work.

And just to save people writing time, we're only talking about factory GM engines in trucks not marine engines.
this is exactly what i'm trying to prove despite the fact of everything thinking they have a "tbi vortec".. i can't find a tbi motor rated near 200 hp in any truck.. i do think they started using the 8 bolt style vortec heads in the cpi trucks that showed up in '92 and were the upgrade from the tbi's.. check this link.. http://www.s10blazers.com/sserieshistory.htm

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Bigger Valves said:

that's cool.. can you show me what the heads and intake manifold look like?? what way does it rotate?? i.e. could it be directly swapped into a normal truck?.. i really wanna see something out of a factory gm truck, suv, car, etc... that's the point..
Nope, only other pic I could find was this one.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/mercruiser/4.3lefiio.htm

My father in-law had a 18ft mariah with this motor in it
:D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LAME said:
I have a 87 and 94 at home right now. The intake is different on the '94, also the lifter valley is a mess of extra crap that I haven't seen before. Roommate has my camera, so I can't get picks until Friday. I will count bolts tongiht, though.
if the '94 is different it's liable to be cpi.. or the mystery motor i wish to see =]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oldjeep said:

Nope, only other pic I could find was this one.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/mercruiser/4.3lefiio.htm

My father in-law had a 18ft mariah with this motor in it
:D
that motor looks sweet.. and 210 prop hp.. that's more hp than any other tbi 4.3 i can find.. but then again i think truck 4.3 hp is rated at the rear wheels.. if it's brake hp then that marine 4.3 would dogg it :D

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Bigger Valves said:

that motor looks sweet.. and 210 prop hp.. that's more hp than any other tbi 4.3 i can find.. but then again i think truck 4.3 hp is rated at the rear wheels.. if it's brake hp then that marine 4.3 would dogg it :D
Boat motors don't have as much emissions crap on them:D

1 - 20 of 151 Posts