Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to build a new front end for my rig. i have selected a D44, for the wide availability and that i dont need/want a 60 on my light ass rig (3200lbs).

MUST HAVES-

factory axleshafts on each side, not neccessarily out of same vehicle but i want junkyard replacements

somewhere around 62" WMS WITH 8lug OUTERS

and as close to 28.5" perch centers as possible. i can outboard, but it would be easier if i could just leave my hangers as is

what can you guys come up with? i searched and found a bunch of great info on perch widths when relating to toys, but not much else. the rig, BTW is a 1964 Land Rover.

·
Registered
567 Posts
you should probably cut the perches off whatever you get so it makes you set the pinion anyways. its called doing it the right way, and your springs aren't hanging off the sides of the perches. then it doesn't matter where the perches are. i suppose if you go find a wagoneer with the correct side drop that would be very close.

unless your a complete poser and run 33s or under, stock axle shafts aren't going to cut it. just letting you know so you can ignore what everyone says and go waste your money on junk shafts.

good luck.

make sure you get the correct lug count too. i like to take axles in pairs so they match nicely.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
forgot to mention passenger drop

i would still like to use junkyard shafts because for now i wont have the money for alloys, if i have the need then i will upgrade.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i meant to say, make sure the lug count and offset is the same for a rover as it is for something usa made. i would imagine the offset of the lugs would be a little funky.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I think your avatar needs to go. I'm not easily offended, nor do I care if there is a story behind it, I don't think it is appropriate.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys must have missed the thread in chit chat about the news article, but ill get rid of it anyways, now that you have sufficiently changed the topic of my thread instead of just asking me to remove it in PMs.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I'm sure that you've looked at ErikB's website. It will have the msot info for you as far as narrowing an axle with available stock shafts

·
Registered
773 Posts
well you will need to look for a late 70's jeep j20 or a mid 70's Chevy/gmc 3/4 ton truck so you can get your 8 lugs.

Why not get the set of axle of out something and just get new rims vs have to drill out for your lug patt.??

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
A fullsize Chevy with eight lug outers and 4" cut from the long side will get you to 65.5" wide and 27.5" on the perch centers. That's as close as you'll get and still be able to use factory inner axle shafts. Going this route will allow you to use any '80-91 Wagoneer long side inner shaft. It's a bit wider than you want, but I honestly don't believe there is another combo which will allow you to use factory shafts.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
9V why don't you just go with five lug Chevy Dana 44, with
a 14 bolt, and use Chevy bolt pattern rims? I don't know if there is a 8 lug 14 bolt Coporate. If there is then do both 8 lug.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Give my article a read, now you need...

1) 73-77 Ford Reverse Spiral housing.
2) 80+ Wag axle shafts (Easier to find, on reason) Or stub side can be a 80-96 F150. (Check Warn site for axle shaft lengths.)
3) Chevy 10 bolt knuckles out, for the lower cost of 8 bolt stuff.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Pre 80s waggy diff, changed from backing plate out to j20 parts will give you a ps drop, 8 lug d44 that would be about 62" wide, using stock, easy to find shafts. OTOH I've seen pics of your rig... it looks good but why not go full width?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
wow, i actually know this one.
;) i have the set up you are looking for. i have a chevy 44 cut down. 4 inches on the long side and 1.5 inches on the short side. stock axle shafts are the waggy for the long side as mentioned above. the short side is the trick. you need a short side out of a 79 dodge. it does exist, no matter what the junkyard goons tell you. the problem is they are a little rare. i think i have the only two in tucson.
the good news is that this gives you a 29 inch spring perch. as far as the eight lug outers, your on your own:D
this is on my 4runner, someday i want to turn my disco into a real crawler:D maybe you can tell me how to do that someday

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys

if this axle was going to the range rover, then it would be full width

but its going into my old rig instead, which i still need to drive every day and i would like to keep the maneuverability of the little truck in the tight woods around here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts