Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got to get this pos running 1st. The original 87 engine needs overhauling. I cant find anyone around here to do the work. I have found a 94 with 68,000 miles for $900.00.

Will this swap into the 87 as easy as the guy says? What will I have to replace? (plz dont give me the "go with a 4.3 swap" advice. Im short on time and money) I need this thing to be my dd for 6 - 12 months. Anyone know what kind of mileage to expect if I get everything else pretty close to stock?

Thanx

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
You are talking about a 22re right? If so, it should swap over with relatively few headaches...... you can probably expect at least 20 mpg as long as the truck is more or less stock... i.e tire size weight etc..... Good luck.

-j-rOd

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Is the 94 a 22RE? I thought they went to a 2.7 somewhere along in there, which is a totally different motor.

If you want an easy swap, look for a 22RE if that's what ya got in the 87.

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Alabamatoy said:
Is the 94 a 22RE? I thought they went to a 2.7 somewhere along in there, which is a totally different motor.

If you want an easy swap, look for a 22RE if that's what ya got in the 87.
95.5 is the year that they went to the 2.7 in the tacos so far as I know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, mine is a 22re and the 94 is a 22re. Im gonna keep everything stock while I use it to run back and forth to work. (100 miles a day)

Ive got a set of 30 or 31" bfg's and the stock gears to run on it.
Ive just got to save some on gas money. Diesel is damn near $2.00 a gallon and Im only getting about 11mpg in my PowerStroke. (could it be the 35's?:D)

Is 900bones about right for that 22re?

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
RonMan said:

Is 900bones about right for that 22re?
Is it the complete engine? Or just the long block? Its a tad steep but If you compare it to the 2800-3200 you'd spend on say a jasper re-man its worth it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jhama78 said:

Is it the complete engine? Or just the long block? Its a tad steep but If you compare it to the 2800-3200 you'd spend on say a jasper re-man its worth it.
The whole thing. The guys tells me Ill have to use my injectors and wiring harness though. He said I could go by tomorrow and drive it around in the truck he has it in right now. 90 day warranty also.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
jhama78 said:
Its a tad steep but If you compare it to the 2800-3200 you'd spend on say a jasper re-man its worth it.
3200 for a Jasper!:eek: :eek:

The LCE EFI Pro is only $3487.05!!!

Screw jasper.

·
Registered
103 Posts
$900 is a tad high, but not a ripoff. I've seen rebuild kits for the 22RE go for $600 alone though.

95.5: 2WD Tacomas got the 2RZ 2.4L and 4WD get the 3RZ 2.7L

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I guess Ill drink a few beers and sleep on it. I just hope this engine has the power to run me down the road at HWY speeds (atleast 70) and get about 20 mpg. 900 is a lot to part with right now, but if I can save at the pump....and if I can start wheeling this pos in the summer it might be worth it.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
The only think that I can think of that isn't a direct swap is the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). But you can put the TPS from your 87 on to the 94 Thottle body if you swap over the little metal bracket on the bottom of the TPS. If that doesn't make sense just do a little bit of reearch on the plenum conversion (old to new style) an you should be able to find a picture of what I'm talking about.

heres some links for you:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63448&highlight=plenum+AND+conversion
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110345&highlight=plenum+AND+conversion

Oh you might also need a new style throttle cable. Also does the new motor have all the intake?

So basically make sure you keep your 87 TPS. I think all of the rest of the wiring is the same.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So basically make sure you keep your 87 TPS. I think all of the rest of the wiring is the same. [/B]
I'll make sure and scavange every piece I can possibly get my hands on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Injectors won't match, TPS might not match, and there's some other stuff as well. Just swap your electrical parts on and keep the original harness that's in the truck where it is, you can turn around and resell the old intake and the electrical off the '94 as a 22R EFI kit.

The TPS is an easy one, take both and remove the little gold colored pawl that's inside (part that links it to the throttle plate) and swap them. Did this on my '86-'95 swap and it worked like a charm. They're 90º off between those years but fit fine on either TPS.

On the price, I paid/traded $800 for a recently rebuilt semi-hybrid motor ('83 block/'95 head & EFI)with some hop-ups already in it. You should be able to talk this one down some.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shane  said:

Don't forget the ECU and wiring harness.
That was a main part of my post. The seller says that I can use the originals off my 87. The deal does not include those.

·
Registered
487 Posts
RonMan said:

That was a main part of my post. The seller says that I can use the originals off my 87. The deal does not include those.
Ewww.... Hmm... get him to drop the price, that's worth at least a couple hundred $$$ in resale to you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, if I do something on this Im definetly thinking of shooting way low. He's making it sound like an easy swap but I know how things go.... I have bought a several things off the guy and he has always been pretty honest with me I just dont see vehicles with 6 years difference being "simple"swaps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why is he keeping that stuff anyways, is he replacing it with a rebuilt or something? In that case just get the longblock from him and put your existing intake and electrical on it (assuming it's all in good shape and functional) and give him max $500 for it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It'll be easy if you can reuse your electrical and intake but if you can't it's definitely not gonna be as simple as plug and play.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shane  said:
Why is he keeping that stuff anyways, is he replacing it with a rebuilt or something? In that case just get the longblock from him and put your existing intake and electrical on it (assuming it's all in good shape and functional) and give him max $500 for it.
NO, this guy is a parts dealer. He sells salvage and some stuff he rebuilds. He put this engine in a truck for some guy and now the guy cant pay. ( that is why I can I drive the truck its in and see if I like it). He said if I like the engine he will pull it tomorrow and have it ready for me. He also has the truck he pulled it from so I can get what I might need from it. Im just not sure what I should be asking for or leaving behind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts