Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a double triangulated 4 link with coilovers, using Fox 2.0 12" travel coilovers. Based on 500lb corner weights measured with a cheap bathroom scale (or in other words, I didn't fully trust the results I got, and used a bit of guesstimation to pick initial springs), I put on single QA1 14" 175lb springs, without a top spring. Did a flex test in the driveway, and found that one side compressed to the bumpstop at the same time the opposite hit full extension. I really though I was going to find I estimated high...

Knowing that I'll likely be swapping springs around several times anyways, especially as this is my first time playing with coilovers, is there any harm in just running that single spring initially to see how things work out, to decide if I'll need a final rate change before deciding on top springs for initial rates?

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Since you know the spring rate you can just measure how far the spring compresses and figure out your corner weights. If your shocks are nearly vertical and compress 3 inches then your corner weight would be roughly 425 lbs. (175 x 3 = 425) Then any good spring dealer should be able to get you the correct springs for you. Accutune and Filthy Motorsports have been good to deal with. Running a single spring for anything other than just driving on the street won't work. If your bottom springs are the right length, there's not enough travel in the spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hell, I'm a dipshit...Kept wondering what you were getting at with the "not enough travel in the spring" part, thinking that there's plenty of travel, and it wasn't even remotely close to coil bind...and it took me three days along with another look at my flex photo to see the problem - not enough spring extension. After a couple inches of suspension droop, that spring completely unloads.

Nearly vertical? Kind of...I have them set on a 10* angle side to side, and 3* back..shouldn't be enough to drastically change things. I knew about the sag X spring rate to get corner weights, but I couldn't use that until I got the first set of springs in there. Until then, I was roughly guessing based on how accurate I thought my $20 bathroom scale to be..and it was 100lbs heavy compared to the spring sag method. That's why I figured I would just get the singles for now, do the weight measurement, then adjust what I put on top after.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts