Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not really much, but Im just a poor high school kid, workin on a tight budget(no, my parents bought nothing on this for no reason(things like Christmas and b-day tho)

6.5" lift, homemade long arm system, and thats really it for now

future plans are:
Custom steering
Finish bumper
Stroke the 6 or do an LT1 swap
hopefully a different tranny
oh and i might want to get 4.11s:eek::D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
What now... Do you want a cookie.... :flipoff2:

Where is the tech... :shaking:

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

·
Registered
791 Posts
from the looks of those arms i would never try to fabricate again.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
355 Posts
what size thread did you use for your long arms in the rear? it looks like a 9/16!!

what are your plans with the bumper?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Damn rookies, when will they learn? :flipoff2:

Serriously though, if you are going to post on Prate, these guys feed on tech like a Piranha on flesh. If you post Mall crawling shots like that, you will not last long around here, just some friendly advice for you. You need topost pics of your long arm, BUT be careful, if you think that it may not be up to Pirate standards, THEN say so FIRST, like: Here are pics of my Long Arm, what do I need to change, I need help/advice" you will have a chance if you go about it like that. If you post "here is my cool long arm", and is fabbed like crap, OH BOY, as I like to say, "Hell have no fury like a Pirate member insulted"

Good luck, and I hope you come back:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, believe me, i wasnt bragging, ive looked around the site, you guys got/ do nice stuff and work, any suggestions/constructive criticism is appreciated.

the thread size isnt 9/16, i cant recall what it is tho, ill measure when i get more pics.

smursion, what do you mean? i couldnt really see another decent way to do it with my tools, and there is mostlly only mud around me, so clearance isnt that much of an issue. were you thinking move them to the fron of the crossmember?

and about the poser pics, sorry, im the only one who knows how to use a picture out on the trails. ill get more as i am building

and one more thing, yes im a noob(at very least according to pirate, but, this is not my first jeep, ive been "into" 4x4s all my life and jeeps since 02-03(yea i know im still a noob)

·
Registered
534 Posts
smursion, what do you mean? i couldnt really see another decent way to do it with my tools, and there is mostlly only mud around me, so clearance isnt that much of an issue. were you thinking move them to the fron of the crossmember?
he was probaly talking about the bolt size, as they do look to be on the small side, (as well as the heim or bushing)and maybe the angle on the bars. Hard for me to tell with the pics, but looks like the rear arm is at a pretty steep angle at ride height. Better pics would help out here

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here are some pretty good shots of some links to give you an idea.....

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Did you tap the tube and just thread the heim/joint into it? It doesn't look like you used jam nuts, maybe I just can't see them in the pics??
Have any better pics to post of the links/suspension?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

the guy who hooked me up with this stuff said itd withold 15-20,000 lbs. and also assured me i would rip pipe before i rip his welds

·
Registered
534 Posts
The weak link is gonna be the thread part of the shank sticking out that far. With that much thread showing, I would be curious as to see how much actual thread engaugement you (sp)? have, as I wold be willing to bet, not much. How far is it threaded into the link?

Also trying to figure out what part is threaded?? Is the link itself tapped and threaded?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lets see a few more shots of how that crossmember is mounted to the "frame"

·
Registered
331 Posts
I sure as fawk hope you dont drive that garbage on the street.What is that 5/8ths galvinized threaded rod? The crossmember that you tied your front arms into is that held in place by what....4 stock bolts?

This crap is as bad as that retards galvi cage and that other knucleheads longarm that welded tabs to the stock XJ crossmember.

Look dude,just becouse you can dont mean you should.This whole fabrication thing just is not for you.You should have stuck with shortarms and a mild lift.It scares me to know there are others like you in my state that drive that crap on the road.

OlyWa

1 - 20 of 57 Posts