Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched.

what is the hi and low ratios and the overall ratio of the elusive Sasquatch........ the 1984 transfer case thanks.:beret:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
try this link to slowzuki

read thru it there is a list near the bottom.

Oh 'WELCOME NEWBIE" :flipoff2:

Enjoy your stay, learn much, Have fun. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
link says : the low low reduction is 2.511 and high reduction is 1.580 . How do I figure out what the '84 case had for overall reduction. Trying to figure out how much difference there is from a 4.16:1 case:beret:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You are assuming two low ranges - not so. High range, the normal, two and four wheel drive range, is NOT 1:1.
You have 1.58 OR 2.511 to 1. Makes the low range of 2.5 not seem so low, at the axles are geared higher to compensate for the 1.58.
Low range kit lowers high range a bit,
and low range a LOT.

Weird, eh? Works pretty good for low buck,
'cause you get lower low gears for crawlin',
and compensates for big tires on the road too.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hey Deepmud........I even understood that.....Mostly :rasta: LOL.

Yea thats how its figured, in 2wd and 4hi there is a 1.58:1 reduction and in 4 low there is a 2.511:1 reduction.

There is a HUGE difference when you put in the 4.16:1 gears in the t-case. Its a mod that will give you back all you paid and more over the life of the gear set.

Do it. :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
mmmm - re-read- ...re-read....
you are right. I just barely make sense there:D

What can I say? Still haven't done the gear thing myself - I just tripled my torque below 3000 rpm instead:flipoff2:

Thanks for saying things clearly - can't have our newbies all confused!

I can say that now - after two years and two logons I finally have "risen above" newbie post volume!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Deepmud: I was just poking fun at ya :D

dont take it seriously. I was just rephrasing what you had said.

Yea it takes for ever to get rid of newbie status....and thats just not post count.....theres alot more to it than that I think.

·
Registered
330 Posts
can we say copound reduction

compound gear reduction is what goes on in the sammy t-case

if you have an 84 sj-410 t-case and you have a ny year sammy t-case take them both apart and remove the cluster {spur} gear from both of them.............

then you box the up with plenty of padding and call
trail tough products
medford oregon

talk to brett {he is a cool and skillfull dude}and i beleive him to be honest as the day is long...................

send your package to brett and for just over a hundered bucks
{american} he will have the largest and the smallest gears from
both cluster {spur} gears welded together and send them back to you.....................

when you get them the welded gear back you would then put it back in the 84 sj-410 t-case with the sammy low range gear...
nad you to will have a 4 to 1 t-case..................

i have mine on the floor right now and am waiting for delivery on the mighty kong t-case bucket {due in like wendsday of next week}...........................

you WILL want to beef up your t-case mounts with a 4 to 1 case
because the added torque from the 4 to 1 t-case WILL twist the stock t-case mounts.........................................

once again

1-877-789-8547

trail tough products
1031 narregan st
medford or 97501

talk to brett he will NOT steer you wrong

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes you guys did confuse me. Good job!

I knew about using my '84 case and a Samurai case and welding the clusters together. Heard of these failing though is that true? Thanks

Questions: I thought once welded, it all went back into the newer Samurai case not the SJ case. Won't I need the newer style flanges with toy axles anyways?

Original question , what's a guess on what the stock SJ case is in 4lo, 80-90% reduction?

Going to the made up 4:16 case, I know 4lo will be good and low(for me anyways) BUT what about 5th on the hiway are the RPMs going to go up more or down. 411 sj gears in the punkins and will have same ratio punkin gears when I go toy. will continue to run 33's.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the confuser

you use the410 high range gear set {all 3 gears}and you use the sammy low range gears {2}...................

the only reason i used the 410 case is because the end play on the gears was closer to spec and the case was already drilled and tapped for the drum parking brake......

you can use the sammy flanges on the 410 input and output splines if you have the 84 case........i dont know about the other years but the sammy flages are on my 410 case they sliped right on no problem........................

once you get both cases apart you will see the differece inthe spur gears and you will unerstand.................

god luck and keep us posted as to your progress

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok thanks, obviously I already have a 84 case(no point at this time ordering a gear set). So I'll find a Sam case and do the spur gears up. No one's had issues with the welded up sets? These gears have been submerged in oil for 20 years you would think this is going to play havoc with getting a good weld.

"12 percent reduction in hi, 84% in low"
deep mud- you are refeering to a 4.16 case right?

·
Registered
330 Posts
welded 4.16 gears

12% high range 84% low range....................

send to brent at trail tough.........................

he says they have done litteraly thousands of them with no failures.........................

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks gentlemen . There's a local guy here who does the spur gear welding BREEZE industries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts