Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 9k HF badlands winch a few years ago for my car hauler trailer. Never took it out of the box until today because I want to use it tomorrow. Of course, It won't work. Sure F*ck me!

This has the wired remote. Model 68143. No nothing. No joy at all when connected as required. Remote does nothing.

If I connect battery directly to the red and black contacts on the winch the motor runs; it spools out. If I reverse the cables, (neg to red, pos to blk) it spools in. There is also a yellow cable to the control box.

Any suggestions WTF I should do now? How to bypass the control box, wired remote and all the crap? Clearly I am out of warranty never having even opened the box. I would like to use the breakers to provide protection to the motor.

The newer models seem to have wireless remotes. How best to make this work? Will the newer remote control boxes work? I'm not above buying a new winch from them and taking parts out and returning parts of this POS, if the new control box will work my winch. Fuck me.

Please. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I’ve had a HF winch with the wired remote that had shitty electrical connections inside the remote handle. Check that or maybe at the plug end. Pop open the control box and check all the connections in there as well. Could be as simple as a bad solenoid too, they are easy to replace with contactors

Once you get it running also add grease to the winch planetaries, they usually ship them with minimal lube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks. The connections inside the remote seems fine. Don't see how the connector plug comes apart. Don't see how the control box cover comes off either. I hooked it up without the curcuit breaker in-line, that wasn't it. No time to fuss with it, off to pick up a Quadravan. So jumper cables directly to the winch motor it is! F*ck pisses me off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use a simple ohmmeter (Or multimeter in 1k ohm mode) and check if the remote actuates correctly from the plug end (without taking it apart).
You can get the multimeter at HF for free or very cheap and they work fine for this use case.

You should also verify if you are getting 12V at the (female) plug side of the remote on the winch itself with a voltmeter (or multimeter in DC 14+V mode). [if you leave the meter in Ohm/resistance mode you will have a good change of burning the fuse inside the meter]

A second set of hands will be very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,172 Posts
Just to confirm. When you plug in the remote, are you twisting it clockwise? I believe that model requires you to give the male side of the plug a twist to lock it in place before it operates the solenoid.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Just to confirm. When you plug in the remote, are you twisting it clockwise? I believe that model requires you to give the male side of the plug a twist to lock it in place before it operates the solenoid.
This ^

There were quite a few people who had the same issues on their Smittybilts.

Pushed the plug in, but didn't turn it to lock and engage.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
Sounds to me like you’re halfway there. I bought a open box harbor freight one for half price years ago it was just missing the remote. All i did was use a quick disconnect much like a 4 wire trailer connector is and put a 3 way toggle switch inside the truck. So just splice some wires and hook up a toggle and enjoy, those wireless winches always kinda scared me for this reason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts