Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
From what I've heard, it isn't bad... but replacement parts are a BITCH to get($$$$$$). I actually looked at that for a second.

Personally, I'm going to retrofit a 454 TBI onto my 472 caddy engine. It will require NO custom parts aside from the TBI to quadrajet adapter and the prom of the computer(big bonus for on the trail repair... someone might actual be able to help fix a TBI... good luck with the stock caddy stuff).

The list of parts I have figured for is:
- 7477 ECU ~$40
- 1981 Caddy distributor from 368 engine (I paid $30)
- 7.4L TBI unit... aka 2" bore TBI (I've seen them going for $200 used)
- water temp sensor (I paid $30 new)
- oil pressure sensor
- knock sensor
- fuel pump relay
- fuel pump
- map sensor
- TBI mounted stuff(IAC, TPS)
- ESC module
- o2 sensor
- wiring harness (I'm looking at ~$200 for custom making my own)

Basically, I'm going with a complete TBI swap minus the EGR and smog pump related stuff(1970 cady doesn't have either)

Right now, I've got the distributor and water temp sensor. As I find stuff at a good price, I'll buy it. For now, I'm not in any rush since I've got all the carb related stuff ready.

Ebay has "sensor grab bags" that include most of the TBI sensors for around $40-$50. I'm doing all new sensors on mine for peace of mind.

The two "difficult" things with the retro fit are:
1) Custom prom... I am going to buy a prom burner and software so I can toy with mine to get it to work right(under $200)
2) Custom wiring. Since the distributor is at the front of a cady, painless generic TBI harness won't work. In my case, I've got sensors going in COMPLETELY different areas than where the stock Chevy's were. But the wiring isn't too difficult if you played with a TBI harness before :p I'd estimate once I get the wiring related stuff I need, it'll take me 4-5 hours to wire it up.

Hope this helps(and exuse the length... I like to ramble:flipoff2: )

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
what are you putting it on?

check out the diy-efi.com/org? site it covers the GM TBI stuff in great detail. Programing proms remaps etc....

Or if you can just grab a set up off any 305/350 tbi motor they adapt really well in a stock-ish config... Should be able to get a full set up like that (or a whole car) for the same $ or cheeper with a more common system... Parts are dirt cheep easy to diagnos etc.... I guess back to what ya building?

-yag

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zukipuke said:
what are you putting it on?

-yag
on my refreshed caddy 425 but i'm most likly going propane.

just wondering how well this system worked

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Chief yelling alot said:

on my refreshed caddy 425 but i'm most likly going propane.

just wondering how well this system worked
I thought the 425 already came with EFI:confused: :confused: At least that was my understanding.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lil'John said:

I thought the 425 already came with EFI:confused: :confused: At least that was my understanding.
FI was an option for the 425

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Lil'John said:
- 7.4L TBI unit... aka 2" bore TBI (I've seen them going for $200 used)
Where are you seeing these for $200? I've been looking for one for my 401, but have yet to see one for under $450.:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
CSP said:

Where are you seeing these for $200? I've been looking for one for my 401, but have yet to see one for under $450.:eek:
On Ebay... regularly. I've seen them bid up to around $200 range about half a dozen times so far(don't recall seeing one go over $200 though). Goto ebay motors, search for "TBI" and have at it(7 pages to sift through though). They pop up about once every 2 weeks or so. I just checked and didn't see any there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts