Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I need some help (advice). I sort of started to collect old Winchester model 12 shotguns. I have one 12ga built in 1935 and one 16ga built in 1926. My question is, how do I know what length of shotgun shells I should be using? I havent found much difinitive info out there. I have ordered several books, most have been disappointing.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 16ga. model 12 only likes remington and fiocchi(sp.?) 2 3/4' shells. It will not eject the same size winchester shells. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My Model 12 (actually built in 1912) uses 2 3/4" 12gauge shells, brand doesn't seem to matter.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Every model 12 I have seen shoots standard 2 3/4" ammo.
The only shotgun I have seen that wouldn't was a marlin pump gun (I think model 42).
It would only shoot paper shells with a roll crimp. Modern plastic hulls were too long to eject after being fired. It shot them fine, but you would have to dig the hull out with your pocket knife.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
The 12-gauge should be at least 2-3/4, and may be 3" (the 3" was introduced right around that time), but the 16 is probably 2-9/16". Your best bet is to measure the chambers yourself. This site explains how.

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
The 16 gauges are finicky on what they will eject. Mine (2 3/4" only)will only eject the spent Remington game loads. The other name brand shells will not eject the spent hulls.

Not sure about what year comes into play with the 12 1/2" shells. I'm thinking that only comes into play with the 1897 models. Currently pretty tired, AND sick, so I may be way off in my thoughts.

Great looking guns though!! One of my favorites.

God Bless,
David B.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question because I haven't put any through this one.

I have a question for you though, how much you think this one would be worth?
I think it'd make a great upland gun, it weighs nothing, but I'll probably sell it, I want an O/U or a light weight auto.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question because I haven't put any through this one.
(IMG)picture(/IMG)

I have a question for you though, how much you think this one would be worth?
I think it'd make a great upland gun, it weighs nothing, but I'll probably sell it, I want an O/U or a light weight auto.
$25, deliver it to Phoenix?

OP: As everyone else has said, it's probably a 2.75"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts