Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone been thru Old Sluice yet this season? Wondering how it's looking for 37s...

We had a group ranging from 40"-42" and had no problems. It looks rough as usual but always fun. Hope you have lockers and a winch!

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Is there any other way???
uphill? trail warriors!

Edit: will be there for Rubithon and plan to get a then/now of the historic pic of the old studebakers driving along the granite wall. Part on an ongoing project.
Aside: we get used to riding over big rocks on big tires. I hiked thru old sluice and let me tell ya, those rocks are a LOT bigger when on foot! Whole new perspective.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Subscribing.

I'll be driving the old S10 out there from Tulsa next month to run the trail and I to am on 37's now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Edit: will be there for Rubithon and plan to get a then/now of the historic pic of the old studebakers driving along the granite wall. Part on an ongoing project.
Aside: we get used to riding over big rocks on big tires. I hiked thru old sluice and let me tell ya, those rocks are a LOT bigger when on foot! Whole new perspective.
I'd like to actually see someone brave enough to bring an old studebaker out there today! With some planks and a winch, I think it's possible still to not destroy it. I had a buddy try to wheel a model T on the eldroado back roads, but the reproduction parts just couldn't hang and he melted not one but all of the coils I heard. Disappointing for a vehicle built before most roads were paved!

Someone PM me when they have a stock studebaker project to wheel the con, I'll come lend a hand! :smokin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Only been through headed west. Done it several times. Last year was a challenge but done. I was the little guy on 36" Iroks.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Worked my way up old sluice Saturday. New rock in Boulder patch making it tricky. Digouts just above downed tree tough (wrong spacing for 110 wheelbase) . Running water on most of the hill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We went threw it last year going toward buck but one guy was on 37's and my buddy I rode with was linked on 42's. It was a blast!

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
Nah 35s are fine but only if you post pictures after.
ha....but the trail is paved. ;)

In 1990, I did the Rubicon "backwards" and I accidentally missed the turn, and took Old Sluice uphill. No winch, CJ-2A on 31" Armstrong Tru-Traks with limited slip front/rear...by myself.

About 1/2 way through, I realized what I had done....and THEN I got nervous. But I made it. I can not lie...some liquid courage may have been involved.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts