Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig came with an older style trailer brake controller that splices into the brake fluid line. It works fine. At least I think it does. When I manually slide the lever I can feel the trailer drag. Is there a reason to move to an all electric controller? Why?

·
Registered
949 Posts
From what I have read the older style like you have are very good controllers. The switch in popularity to all electric has been a symptom of people not wanting to mess with the hydraulic brake system on their vehicles.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If I understand keerucktly, Modern ABS put the Kaibosh on those.
That's what I've always understood as well. I'm sure you could use the older style hydraulic/electric brake controllers on a truck with rear wheel ABS only though by splicing into the front brake circuit.

I've always heard the hydraulic/electric controllers work very well and are nice and proportionate. I'd really like to hear what some of the people who have used both have to say about them. I've got one sitting here that came out of an old truck I had, maybe if there are enough good reviews I'll have to install it and try it out.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
If I understand keerucktly, Modern ABS put the Kaibosh on those.
Makes sense.... if the controller was plumbed in after the ABS unit. If the unit was plumbed in between the master cylinder and the ABS unit, I would think that the controller wouldn't know the difference.

On my brother's newer GC Overland, it has a modern gadget plumbed into the brake lines (came that way from the factory) that sends a proportional signal for trailer brakes.

I have one of those old style controllers laying around as well... it's just a hydraulicly actuated rheostat. The one I have is BIG and would be a bitch a to find a place to mount it in the cab.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I have one of those old style controllers laying around as well... it's just a hydraulicly actuated rheostat. The one I have is BIG and would be a bitch a to find a place to mount it in the cab.
I used to have two of them. One was the "big" style like what you are talking about and the other one is actually a brand new unit (installed but never plumbed) that is about the same size as modern electronic controllers are. I threw the big one away for the same reason that you are talking about. There was no way I could have found a place to mount that thing.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
i have a few of those laying around as well, and always planned on mounting one up. As for the ABS, I know on the the diesel stop, there have been a few people who have put them in superdutys, with no issues at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts