Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the guy that did my ARB install uses a different set up than what comes with the ARB (what he told me). I guess he uses different fittings for some reason and said it has to do with overall ease of replacement parts and such... The copper air line collar broke before he could get it finished and totally installed. So It has been tapped and just has a plug on the hole for where the ARB lines will go into the housing. These is the parts he gave me:

Does this look correct? Am I missing the little piece that goes into the end of the plastic airline? Or do I just install as it is in the pics and attach it to the copper airline inside the diff?

I now have the new collar and need to get this thing installed ASAP. FYI-This is a Front D60.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Are we talking inside or outside the housing? If inside, the copper line will just slip into the ferrel and tighten the nut. Out side looks like a setup similar to airbrakes. The line will just slip in and lock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That fitting with the green end is a push-lok fitting and just like KWTMECH said, you just push the plastic tube into the green end and it locks. No brass tube insert - the insert is only used with compression fittings. ARB kits use the brass insert and a compression fitting on the outside of the housing, but you can use any fitting like the push-lok that you have.

You may want to use a spring like ARB uses to act as a strain-relief for the plastic tube at the fitting.

As far as the other fittings in your picture - there is a compression nut and ferrule. This may go on the inside if that isn't already plumbed. You shouldn't need the compression stuff on the outside if you are going to use the push-lok fitting.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I was concerned about the small brass insert I have seen in the past. I now the elbow threads into where my plug is now. So it can be installed as it is in the pic?

BTW, yes it is the inside of the housing.

Thanks for the help, never had an ARB before and i'm stoked to get this bitch in.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just to let you know, that's the exact setup that I put onto my Mom's jeep. It works great. You've obviously switched over to an american size tubing with those fittings. Make sure that whatever tubing you use can withstand the heat of the engine compartment if you have to run your line that way. We had issues with it the first couple times out, but it's taken care of now.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I guess maybe I'm too simple to understand the reasons for so many fittings and complexity for installing an ARB, but on my Dana axles, I just cut a groove in the face of the diff housing with my angle grinder and ran the air tubing in this groove. Fast, simple and in my mind, less prone to leaks. It will also make my life easier the day that I wanna take the diff apart.......

FWIW, I also replaced the copper tube that came from ARB with a piece of steel brake line and a flare fitting. I drilled out the copper line and brazed the steel line in its place. I then used a brake line hose to connect the the compressor. If these connections don't leak under brake pressures, they outta be just fine for air......

Here's a pic that shows the air line, kind of........

Attachments

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I see. So, that is what he was talking about the different threaded ends. Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts