Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
This weekend I just finished up my onboard air system. It is on a mopar so I decided to use there A/C pump. It was a 2 cylinder unit with an oil sump. Installed it al and finaaly got it running. The compressor works but seems awful slow to me. I have a 3.5 gallon tank and it took 5 minutes to go from 0 - 120psi. When airing my tires back up it was also slow. Are these older style mopar compressors bad or is it just mine? If these are crappy would a york be that muck better?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
15 Posts
"It was a 2 cylinder unit with an oil sump" Sounds an awful lot like a York. Does it look like a York but with the Mopar badge on it? If it is the same shape, then it's a York but with a different plate. You would then need to see what displacement it was. If it's one of the lower ones, you could swap in a 10 cubic inch York and get a lot more volume out of it. Go to onboardair.com and click the York ID info link for directions on how to identify what displacement yours might be.

Later,

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
York

Not a york. Just looked it up in a chrysler book and it was designed for chrysler. Different shape than a yorl also. Reading that book left me with a bad feeling about this compressor. It sounds like even though this one has an oil sump it still cycles the oil through the system. Time to look for a York. Any ideas on a good donar vehicle to get one???

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
is the intake restrictive? I had a rag over mine when I first got it done and it was slow (not 5 min but still slow) and I put a K&N filter on and now it is fine for 36" sx's (mine is a York I don't know which one though)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found mine in a Volvo junkyard. They all had them in the early and late 80s. Any number of other cars had them too. Ford used them for a while. Here's a couple of good pages that have a ton of information you will be needing.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html
http://www.onboardair.com
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/air/ (gee... that url looks familiar)

The first one (jedi) is probably the best.

Later,

Dan

p.s. If you have to get one from a volvo, see if you can get them to yank it for you, they are really burried on them and a bear to get out without pulling half the engine.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Re: York

arnott1t said:
Not a york. Just looked it up in a chrysler book and it was designed for chrysler. Different shape than a yorl also. Reading that book left me with a bad feeling about this compressor. It sounds like even though this one has an oil sump it still cycles the oil through the system. Time to look for a York. Any ideas on a good donar vehicle to get one???
yorks will blow oil too :flipoff2: and i mean like 95% of them :D
put a seperator after the york to prevent blowing the oil into your tires
also this will help a lot york oil fix 'n stuff

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not intake

My intake is plumed into my engines air intake. It has a K&N on top. I figure I'll just go find a york. I looked in a yard today but no dice. I did see a ford model one that looked alot like a York but it said Motorcraft on it so I left it. I'll try and find one soon though. Thanks for the replies. I had already looked at those sites but I was just curious if anyone had used any other type of compressor. Especially the chrysler one. Thanks Again.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
My new york is super speedy!
At an idle it fills my 2.5 gallon tank and all 40ft plumbing in under 1minute 30 seconds... its nice!

I say ditch yours and get a York if you want performance.. the York is NICE!!

Like everyone else says it BLOWS oil like crazy (atleast mine).. I could have overfiled it and its still blowing out. but I have had to empty my oil trap 2 times..

I plan to possibly add another oil trap..

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
They ALL blow oil, and alot of it. Get a covalecing oil filter, and the return line, its pricey, but I am eternally gratefully I did it.

Try holding the RPMs Higher. My york will fill a 2 gal tank in 35 seconds at 600 RPM, and 10 seconds at 3,000 RPM. Thats 140 PSI.

I also have the 10.2 CFM york.

Oh, and YJguy, I dont know about others, but overfilling it will just make mine spit more oil. Get the filter, and rig up a return line, its awesome.

EDIT: I read you have an Oil trap... why add another? Just wondering.

I run my york about 3 tank fills a day... I open the oil fill line about once a weeek

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Re: Not intake

arnott1t said:
My intake is plumed into my engines air intake. It has a K&N on top. I figure I'll just go find a york. I looked in a yard today but no dice. I did see a ford model one that looked alot like a York but it said Motorcraft on it so I left it. I'll try and find one soon though. Thanks for the replies. I had already looked at those sites but I was just curious if anyone had used any other type of compressor. Especially the chrysler one. Thanks Again.
The motorcraft is a york, just a different tag

A couple things to make sure of... get the piston model, of the rotary, and try to get the biggest possible

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
LordRatner said:
They ALL blow oil, and alot of it. Get a covalecing oil filter, and the return line, its pricey, but I am eternally gratefully I did it.

Try holding the RPMs Higher. My york will fill a 2 gal tank in 35 seconds at 600 RPM, and 10 seconds at 3,000 RPM. Thats 140 PSI.

I also have the 10.2 CFM york.

Oh, and YJguy, I dont know about others, but overfilling it will just make mine spit more oil. Get the filter, and rig up a return line, its awesome.

EDIT: I read you have an Oil trap... why add another? Just wondering.

I run my york about 3 tank fills a day... I open the oil fill line about once a weeek
I never said I overfill it I said it's probably still overfilled from when I got it *new*... I have a filter and right now after filling up all 4 tires the lil clear plastic thing is FULL of oil.. so right now after each use I empyty it out.. im waiting for it to stop filling up all the way...

Another oil trap will remove MORE oil that gets pasted it.. while my trap fills up I still get oil at the end of the line..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is it a York.

So I have found a york. It is in a 80's ford truck. It is mounted side waysand is pretty big. Can I take the pully of of it and put my other one on. The on it is frikin huge. I looked at the tag on the back and did'nt findd much info. It was hard to see and very greasy. I can get it for 30$ cdn so it is pretty cheap.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
:confused: Obvious question: Why is it bad to have oil in the air you use to fill your tires? Does it damage the tires or just make them slip off the rim more easily?

Later,

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: So is it a York.

arnott1t said:
So I have found a york. It is in a 80's ford truck. It is mounted side waysand is pretty big. Can I take the pully of of it and put my other one on. The on it is frikin huge. I looked at the tag on the back and did'nt findd much info. It was hard to see and very greasy. I can get it for 30$ cdn so it is pretty cheap.

Let me know what you think.
Pulling the pully off is pretty easy. Just get a 5/8" coarse thread bolt. Take the small bolt off the center of the shaft and thread the big one in the hole. You can get a fancy wrench to hold the pully or just wack your ratchet with a hammer good and hard. Either way, this will pop the pully right off. Look at the shaft to see what displacement the pump is. (See info on onboardair.com for details on this.)

Later,

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
danberlyoung said:
:confused: Obvious question: Why is it bad to have oil in the air you use to fill your tires? Does it damage the tires or just make them slip off the rim more easily?

Later,

Dan
Yes it makes them slip off the wheel easier (or so i`ve heard..) makes sense.. oil inside rim, oil on bead, spinning wheel - no spinning tire, then no bead.. with beadlocks I guess its not that much of an issue.. but ive probably emptyed 1 CUP of oil out of my trap so far.. lotta oil in the rims..

Also dunno how the ARBlikes oil in the lines,..heh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts