Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size would everyone recommend for an Air Tank?..i've been to onboardair.com..and they offer at most 2.5 gallon tanks...this just doesnt seem big enough to me..seems like if i were to use any air tools i'd be constantly waiting for the tanks to refill...

I'd like to see some opinions on tanks sizes that you all have used or would recommend using...thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
How much room do you have??? Go to a Junkyadr that has OTR Trucks and get air tanks there, they will practically give them to you. In my Comanche I have 4 hooked together with 1/2 inch line, with a York pushing the air in, I can run air tools just fine. :D

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what size are the 4 tanks you are using?

Im not sure exactly where im going to be placing the tanks at this point..i'd rather not place them all the way in the back of my jeep..too much hose running back in forth to me...i'd rather keep my tanks up front...but i dont see how i could possibly keep it up there without taking up too much space on the passenger side....

its something im struggling with heh...but the biggest issue is I need to make sure i have enuff air storage to run my tools without having to wait forever for the tank(s) to refill....

im using the AC compressor already in my jeep..no york here....havent really worked much with air..so this is all new to me...trying to figure out exactly what I need and what is just excess...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use a single air brake tank from a semi. Most of them are approx. the same size, which is something like 8x25 or so, about 8 gallon I think. I'm at work so I can't measure for you at the moment, but you can see them on most any semi going down the road. Usually located above the fuel tank but below the lower doorline, behind the step. Sometimes chromed, you can;t miss it. I'm not running an A/C compressor though, I've got a Holset air comp designed for the Cummins diesel in my Bronco, gear driven.

·
Registered
456 Posts
we can also always build you a tank , maybe 3inches high and the same size as the rear floor? maybe even make part of it a storage place for air tools and hose? ive got the plate steel at my house

·
Registered
202 Posts
You must not be looking very hard at the air tanks under these trucks. You can get a tank from 2ft. long to about 5ft. long. I don't know what most people are useing for lines but I would suggest spending the money and getting airquip lines. It will cost more but the benifits are greater. They are more durable than plastic and more flexible. They are stronger and smaller in diameter than using rubber.

·
Registered
556 Posts
IMO, 2.5 or so is fine, and about all that's useful, i've found. i had a 7 gal tank, trying to use a cut off tool, about 2500 rpm's, couldn't keep up. and my 1.5 gal is fine for impact, air chisel and airing up.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kjp98TJ said:
IMO, 2.5 or so is fine, and about all that's useful, i've found. i had a 7 gal tank, trying to use a cut off tool, about 2500 rpm's, couldn't keep up. and my 1.5 gal is fine for impact, air chisel and airing up.

You dont run into periods of wait for your tank to refill? if so, how long does it usually take? to me that'd get annoying...so if i can fix it by just getting a larger tank then it'd be better to do so before it does annoy me and i break something lol....

Im leaning towards the 2.5 tank with what you've said...as I really dont see using more than the impact, air chisel and airing up my tires..at least on the trail...

·
Registered
25,168 Posts
J33P_XJ_89 said:

You dont run into periods of wait for your tank to refill? if so, how long does it usually take? to me that'd get annoying...
If you have a strong, well designed system, the compressor alone can run many airtools. So, as long as it's running, you're really taking very little air out of the actual tank.

·
Registered
574 Posts
HarleyM said:
You must not be looking very hard at the air tanks under these trucks. You can get a tank from 2ft. long to about 5ft. long. I don't know what most people are useing for lines but I would suggest spending the money and getting airquip lines. It will cost more but the benifits are greater. They are more durable than plastic and more flexible. They are stronger and smaller in diameter than using rubber.
Let me rephrase that ......MANY semi trucks use an air tank APPROX. 8"X24 or 25", which I THINK is about 6-8 gallons. Works nicely and is not TOO large to conceal. Geez.....get a life. And no, I don't spend much time under trucks looking at and checking dims. of air tanks, but I do know that ALOT of the trucks I see running down the interstate have similer sized air tanks. Pardon moi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts