Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. I finnaly installed my ARB up front but my deal on their air compressor fell through. There are many compressors on the market, and dont know enough about them to make my dessision. I need a compressor to run my ARB, fill tires and eventualy (maybe sooner that later) run a tank for air tools. What are you guys running and do you like it?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
lots of choices- here's a couple

Air on the cheap- caddy compressor and a small tank
on the 4x4 wire

Power tank or other CO2 source- I use a 20lb MIG tank and regulator for my onboard air. It will fill 25 to 30 tires from trail pressure back to street pressure for about $17.00 to refill the tank. It would be relatively easy to adapt it to an electric or manual valve body for an ARB. The electric valve body could be wired into the ARB on off switch-

later

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
If you want to run air tools, you've only got a few choices.

Engine-driven A/C compressor.

CO2- (Powertank or your own version of the same)

Oasis (Oa$i$) electric driven York A/C compressor.

I prefer the first choice myself! :D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Go with a York belt-driven, the overall cost is going to be less than a Powertank, takes up a lot less space (since it's not inside the truck), less prone to theft, and it never needs to be refilled. If you add a good-sized tank, you'll be able to run air tools as well as your ARB's.

The electric-driven York sold as the Trailhead is another option, but it's a BEAST, heavy, bulky, and it sucks up a LOT of amps.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Use a stock Toyota A/C compressor, just make sure you run an inline oiler to lube the compressor. The stock compressor uses the freon for lube.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm a wimp and like my A/C. I ended up putting in an ExtremeAire 12V air compressor. The only downside is that it isn't cheap. I had to save awhile for this:

Wolf's ExtremeAire Install.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
is there anyone selling a braket for a york, to use without stock A/C?
this would be for an RE motor

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
get a stock toy ac comp from a junkyard, or a york. the toy works well. you may be able to put a zerk in for lube and not run an oiler.;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
York really seems the way to go. does anyone make a mount for it for a 22r? wheres my best bet on finding one?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
zidaro said:
powertank!!! kicks ass, fills fast, lasts forever, light, mobile, independent
I have a CO2 tank but it only last so long and it will be nice to have a compressor onboard. The best thing about the CO2 over the compressor is you can carry it 3-4 trucks in front or behind you to fill tires or run air tools.

aaron t , put a zerk in for lube and not run an oiler :confused: how is that going to work ?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
CO2 tank, $93 filled from A1 Fire Extinguisher in Huntsville, AL. Costs $16 to swap for a new filled tank.

Regulator was $40 from welding shop - had a busted low pressure side guage. New guage was already on hand.

Mounting bracket was $25. (ouch, but the exact same thing from Powertank is about $50)

Exhaust clamps were about $2.

So for about $160, I got lots of tire filling air, and my AC still works. Sorta, but that's another issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am running the York Bracket Bud sells for his friend. It is a tight fit and does not leave much belt on the Air conditioning pump, but appears to be working. I have not recharged the system so i don't yet know if the additional load will cause the belt to slip.
you also have to beat the inner fender some on the passenger side to get it to clear.

As far as where to get a york, older Volvos in the junk yard have them. Early 80's. The ones that are under the power steering units are the ones you want (more CFM), even though they are more of a pain to pull... Last one i got was $20.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Alabamatoy said:
CO2 tank, $93 filled from A1 Fire Extinguisher in Huntsville, AL. Costs $16 to swap for a new filled tank.

Regulator was $40 from welding shop - had a busted low pressure side guage. New guage was already on hand.

Mounting bracket was $25. (ouch, but the exact same thing from Powertank is about $50)

Exhaust clamps were about $2.

So for about $160, I got lots of tire filling air, and my AC still works. Sorta, but that's another issue.

The only problem is that you have to constantly pay for air when you get the air for free when using a york or ac.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see budbuilt and onboard air make a bracket to mount a york but OBA doesnt make it for toyotas and Budbuilts piggybacks an air conditioner I dont have...any other ideas?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mattr5150 said:
I see budbuilt and onboard air make a bracket to mount a york but OBA doesnt make it for toyotas and Budbuilts piggybacks an air conditioner I dont have...any other ideas?
sounds like your going to have to fab up your own mount then or have one made.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts