Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got new crossmember in and t-case reinstalled.
3118673

I also put in the front bumpstops. I used some cheap poly bumps from amazon. The front lands on a platform I build on top of the panhard mount.
3118674

The drivers side I had a bit more room so it simply mounts to a piece of 3/8s I drilled and tapped a hole into for the bump, and welded it underneath the frame. It lands of the driver side upper radius arm bushing.
3118675

I also built some limit strap mounts on the axle side. They also double as extra support for the shock mounts.
3118676

Front suspenion tucked up. It has just under half an inch before the panhard nails the top of the axle if the bumpstops got smashed all the way. (Like going off a jump). The shocks use the remaining shaft at full bump when the suspension articulates. I also managed to get it so a 35 tucks up almost perfect in the fender, so a 37 will need minimal fender modifications.
3118677

The drag link is also bent to keep the joints from binding. I know you are not supposed to bend them, but it is built from 1.5" OD 1/4" wall dom which is pretty beefy and with the hydro assist it will not bend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Didn't do much this weekend. Was busy with homework and the very interesting search for the proper hose fitting adapters. Anyways I got these brackets from ruff stuff for mounting shock reservoirs and welded them to the front of the shock hoops.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle

Also cut some tabs for the frame side mounts for the limiting straps and welded them on.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

That concludes the fabrication for the front suspension. Next step is to flip it around again and add bumpstops, limiting strap mounts, new body mounts (the old body mount crossmember is destroyed), and add a filler neck. I sent the pcm off to get tuned, ordered the last few plugs I need for the harness, got the rest of the parts to reseal the motor, and then I should be able to fire the motor for the first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Patched up all the holes on the passenger side from the right hand drive specific stuff. Then built a battery tray from so angle I had laying around to mount the battery on that side of the engine bay.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Also ordered a set of gauges from amazon shipped straight from shanghai. They were cheap, we will see how long they are going to last.
Automotive tire Alarm clock Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system

Cut some diamond plate and used the hole saw to drill holes for the gauges on the dash. I also cut another smaller panel to mount a bunch of toggle switches. I used an old scout 80 dash I had sitting in the corner that someone had already cut apart to fit a big radio. I simply made the panels big enough to cover up the holes they cut in it. I think it looks pretty good.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Truck

I also picked up a set of 5 H2 rims in perfect condition for cheap. Still got to bore out the centers for the ford hubs though. I cut the hat off of an old brake rotor I had and bolted it to the rim to act as a template for the hole. I also got a little router bit with a bearing on the bottom to ride against the template. Have not gotten the opportunity to bore them out yet.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Locking hubs

Got my PCM back from 150 tunes, and finished putting together the harness (except for the MAF sensor plug, still need to get one of those from the junkyard). Also picked up some sheet metal to build a fan shroud, and got all my lights and my wiring harness so I need to get that all figured out.
 
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Top