Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were all dicussing putting the 4bbl 392 intake on a 345 and someone mentioned looking out for the EGR vs. water passages in the intake, but then someone pipped in about putting a diesle (sp) gasket on it to block the passage completely and get the intake gases running cooler.

What's the skinny guys. I'm putting my intake on this weekend as well as bleeding my brakes in hopes of running it on a camping/wheeling (softcore for now) trip to colorado in mid august

Help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

PS: Part store part number would rock also but not necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,091 Posts
Originally posted by Cliffhanger:
<STRONG>We were all dicussing putting the 4bbl 392 intake on a 345 and someone mentioned looking out for the EGR vs. water passages in the intake, but then someone pipped in about putting a diesle (sp) gasket on it to block the passage completely and get the intake gases running cooler.


What's the skinny guys. I'm putting my intake on this weekend as well as bleeding my brakes in hopes of running it on a camping/wheeling (softcore for now) trip to colorado in mid august


Help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">


PS: Part store part number would rock also but not necessary.</STRONG>
I don't think coolant vs. exhaust passages are an issue. IIRC, if you swap the intake from one style of engine to the other, the only difference is you have exhaust gas in the old coolant crossover, or vice-versa. I don't think it's a big deal.

The gaskets you might be thinking of are the PROPANE intake gaskets. They block off the coolant/exhaust passage for a colder intake manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, So do I call the parts store and say I need a Propane gasket verison of the gasket for my 345??? or am I way off track??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
YES exactly. I walked into car quest in oceanside ca and asked for PROPANE intake manifold gaskets. They were listed but had to order them. If memory serves me correctly, they will block both egr and water flow through the intake manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
YES exactly. I walked into car quest in oceanside ca and asked for PROPANE intake manifold gaskets. They were listed but had to order them. If memory serves me correctly, they will block both egr and water flow through the intake manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
YES exactly. I walked into car quest in oceanside ca and asked for PROPANE intake manifold gaskets. They were listed but had to order them. If memory serves me correctly, they will block both egr and water flow through the intake manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARE YOU SURE....j/k X 3.....

I called Napa and they only have the standard one in stock so I'm gonna go get that one it's only $10.00. That's pretty fair.
 

·
IH/Rover Moderator
Joined
·
20,918 Posts
Propane intake gasket set victor# MS15108. The info you have about water thru the intake is bad info from the BB. The FAQ's are just wrong and Bill just won't fix the mistake <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Old Scout:
<STRONG>Propane intake gasket set victor# MS15108. The info you have about water thru the intake is bad info from the BB. The FAQ's are just wrong and Bill just won't fix the mistake <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"></STRONG>

So no water travles through the intake on scouts???
 

·
IH/Rover Moderator
Joined
·
20,918 Posts
Originally posted by Cliffhanger:
<STRONG>
So no water travles through the intake on scouts???</STRONG>
It's imposable to have a water/egr problem with a 345/392 intake. The non egr manifold has the same water passages as the egr manifold.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,044 Posts
Like Old Scout said, there is NO problem swapping between 345/392 intake manifolds. The water and exhaust passages are the same.

Both manifolds have BOTH water AND exhaust flowing through them.

The PROPANE gaskets block off the exhaust, THEORETICALLY cooling the intake manifold around the carb (or NOT heating it), THEORETICALLY crating a *little* more power.

Use the standard gaskets, they will be fine.

-mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Old Scout and RustWhite are correct.

The intake on the left is a spread bore with an EGR, the one on the right is a square bore without an EGR. Both intakes use the same passages to pass coolant from the heads into the intake. I have no idea why the BB leaves bad information in the FAQs <IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
<IMG width=500 height=375 SRC="http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/Image33.jpg">
<IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I did not know that there was a gasket to block off the ports so I welded up the head while it was all apart to block it off. I felt that it would probably help keep the motor a little cooler. Wish that I would have known.

EGR vs Non-EGR intakes
I agree that they are totally interchangable but the water passages are a little different. | have two junk non-egr intakes one four barrel and one two barrel because when I was trying to open them up for the holley Projection I hit water passages on the deep side. No problem with the EGR 2 barrel intake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's too late now. I have the 4bbl intake on and am working on getting the carb set-up on it. I'm gonna need a small hood scoop. ( I think a plymouth style one would look good on it)

I have a front feed (not side feed) QJ carb and am having the fuel inlet machined so that it's cut off about 2-1/4" shorter and feeds off to the side (where you would use a wrench to put it on) rather than the front of the filter housing.

I tried a couple of shorter style housings and none worked so the machine shop was the next obvious choice.

I send pics when I get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have the Square bore-to-Spread bore adapter??? My air filter threading (which is too short for the air cleaner I want to run) comes about 1/4 inch from my hood. At first I didn't even think it would fit...well anyway that's the scoop.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top