Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build threads that drag on forever irritate me, so I swore I would get this out wheeling before I started one. It is certainly not done yet, but I have a couple of trips on it now, so here goes.

Pictures first; a little before and after

early days:

February 06, Mormon Emigrant Trail

March 06, Reno hills

over the last few years:

August 06, Rubicon

May 07, Moonrocks

August 08, Barrett Lake

and now to where this stage of the build will lead us:

August 09, shake down run

don’t mind the E-brake cable poking me in the receiver

the only (short, poor quality) video I have
YouTube - Capps Crossing AUG 09

September 09, Barrett Lake

·
Registered
307 Posts
I never really figured I would ever say this but I love how LOW your sami is :flipoff2:

Whats the belly clearance on that thing?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The low cog is cool.
Do you love it or sometimes want a little more body clearance?
Nice transformation.
So far its been awesome. I don't want to say it does donuts and drifts turns without videos though :D. Once I get a full belly skid under it, I will determine if it needs to come up a little, though I wouldn't be suprised if an inch or two get added, more for up travel than anything else

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goals

104ish” WB, 3 link/panhard front, 4 link rear, conventional coil springs/shocks, Toyota minitruck axles, low and wide, moderately street-legal.

I have been building, buying, bartering and collecting parts for some time now to minimize down time. Buying everything up front wasn’t in the budget anyways. Plus, I have spent the last 2-3 years wheeling instead of pondering a rig on jack stands.

I plan to reuse as much as possible to keep cost down (I am a Samurai owner). Radiator, gas tank (at least temporarily), proportioning valve and master cylinder, tail gate, hood, grill, doors, top(s), headlights, taillights, etc. Home built and used parts is the name of the game. This ain’t no comp buggy, so fuel capacity, storage/interior room, spare tire, stereo, CB, etc. are all a must

I will do my best to to keep this in chronological order, but I am sure some of it won’t be. Details, pics, part numbers and prices will be included as much as possible. It also might take me some time to document, so don’t expect everything at once :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Lets see if I can guess you have trail-gear four link in rear custom three in front. Those look like stock tj coils or there equivalent with 6.5 in the zuk case on a manual tranny. The flat belly is genius and the low cog you have by slamming the body should make you semi fearless. 36-38" swampers on toy axles. You used jj's for the links. I can't see an airline so maybe not arb maybe lincoln locked front and rear or ??? 4.10 gears in the diff you look like you are in the middle of the build and new ring and pinion usually comes last for most folks trying not to pay all at once for stuff. Gonna guess wb is 96to98" really hard to tell. It looks like ruff stuff weld on beadlocks. Its a great looking build you should be proud. Do you trailer or drive it?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lets see if I can guess you have trail-gear four link in rear custom three in front.
no kit, I did the links on both ends

Those look like stock tj coils or there equivalent
yes

with 6.5 in the zuk case on a manual tranny.
close. Trail Tough 6.4's, stock motor and trans

The flat belly is genius and the low cog you have by slamming the body should make you semi fearless. 36-38" swampers on toy axles.
yep, 38.5 SXs on minitruck axles

You used jj's for the links.
correct

I can't see an airline so maybe not arb maybe lincoln locked front and rear or ??? 4.10 gears in the diff you look like you are in the middle of the build and new ring and pinion usually comes last for most folks trying not to pay all at once for stuff.

5.29's/spool/lockright
I actually bought the built axles used 3 years ago

Gonna guess wb is 96to98" really hard to tell.
104.5" wb
I put a lot of thought into keeping it proportioned, so if it looks shorter, I will take it as a compliment :D

It looks like ruff stuff weld on beadlocks.
good eye. I am pretty sure they are the only 39 bolt beadlocks out there, easy giveaway if you actually counted them

Its a great looking build you should be proud. Do you trailer or drive it?
Thanks! I am. I drive it around town some, and have driven it to the trail, but its a pain in the ass to drive it very far. I am currently flat towing it

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I get too far ahead, a brief history:

Feb 2006
As originally purchased for $1300, bone stock with an awesome paint job. Not quite the green (er, yellow?) trim I had imagined on the phone, but I needed a car and had driven over two hours (Sacramento to Santa Cruz) to see this thing. Good running condition and pretty clean.

About 10 minutes later, hadn’t even taken it home yet.

I am quite thankful for spray paint

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I traded a friend some wheels and tires for complete Samurai axles/case/tranny and motor. While a lot of these parts are now gone/sold/used/broken/no longer needed, having extra everything has been priceless. I thought I had a picture of the whole extra drivetrain loaded in my Samurai, but I can’t seem to find it. Here is how to fit 4 35’s inside

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few snow runs with it stock

and within a month my buddy helped me weld my extra rear 3rd, and then I swapped them. I am a cocky MIG welder, but not so much with the stick. Welded rear is still the best bang for the buck to date.

1 - 20 of 594 Posts