Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when welding my new crossmemember to the frame should i do a solid bead for the whole legnth or should i stitch weld it? i've seen it done both ways but what do you guys think would be best? im leanin more towards the stitch weld myself but you guys have a lot more experience in this than i do so i would appreciate your opinions...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
robtech said:
when welding my new crossmemember to the frame should i do a solid bead for the whole legnth or should i stitch weld it? i've seen it done both ways but what do you guys think would be best? im leanin more towards the stitch weld myself but you guys have a lot more experience in this than i do so i would appreciate your opinions...

stitchit, i do three in fornt and three on the back, tie the sides in and gussett under the frame a few inches back off the hanger or the frame will crack....

Attachments

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
1972CJ5+1 said:
stitchit, i do three in fornt and three on the back, tie the sides in and gussett under the frame a few inches back off the hanger or the frame will crack....

Damn Booger, when you gonna pony up for another red star :flipoff2:

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey! those are the same spring hangers i got :beer: yea i definately know to gusset it and the front foot of my frame is sleeved for the ifs box...kinda overkill i know...ok yea i was thinkin of goin with the stitch weld...thanks a bunch for the input

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Look around at the welds on your frame. Most of them are stiched, Why, because if a weld stars to crack it will stop. If it is welded solid it will continue all the way around. When I use to help build dragster frames we never welded them solid on the tubes there was always at least two breaks in the bead!!! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
1972CJ5+1 said:
heres teh junk under the frame im talkin about....
[hijack on]
On your crossmemeber, is that 2x3 tubing with the shackle centered on the tubing? And then it looks like the crossmember is offset outward about 1/2" when welded to the frame? Sorry for these questions, but I was looking for some good measurements to start mine. Wanted to have the mounts set so it moves the axle forward.. How far forward will your axle be?

Thanks!

[hijack off]

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Krylon.. said:
[hijack on]
On your crossmemeber, is that 2x3 tubing with the shackle centered on the tubing? And then it looks like the crossmember is offset outward about 1/2" when welded to the frame? Sorry for these questions, but I was looking for some good measurements to start mine. Wanted to have the mounts set so it moves the axle forward.. How far forward will your axle be?

Thanks!

[hijack off]
thats a 2x4x.188'' the front eye is about an inch forward over stock. its sticks out in front and rear of the stock crossmember(under). plently of places to poop a booger weld out on:D

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey booger, whats that bar on your steering box? why is it there? never seen that before...

Attachments

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and yes i know my handwriting sucks with a mouse :flipoff2:

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya know? you may be right...seeing as how i've never pulled a pitman arm i wouldnt really know what a pitman arm puller looks like...cuz mines an 82 with the push pull...so i just cut the pitman arm off with mah grinder and i havent needed to pull the arm off my ifs box...

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Lemoore-on said:
Looks like a pitman arm puller.

its a pitman arm puller that snapped(and got rewelded) then bent instead. nothing would take that fawker off, 3lb sledge, thread penetrant, torch heat, even ground into it with a cutoff wheel and tried to chisel it in half.....10 minute soak in coca cola......POP! off she came, even with the wankered puller....... :evil:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
you sure have become quite the welder! no pooppy welds there:p

thanks seacucumber! i just quit my welding job...its only fun when youre sippin suds and working on trucks....:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
thanks seacucumber! i just quit my welding job...its only fun when youre sippin suds and working on trucks....:flipoff2:
I call BULLSHIT :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
:eek: :laughing: :eek:
youre a jackass!!!!!!!!!!
[elvis mode] thank you, thank you very much [/elvis mode]

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

But, its jackass with a style :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
whats so stylish about a donkey that wears lipstick, highheels and his wifes panties??? :flipoff2:
HA... Try walking in that shit-- :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts