Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My fellow Jeepers:

I am writing to you with my heartfelt concern to inform you that one of “ours” had a terrifying accident last Thursday morning (2/20). Steve Smith was on route to a job site with his moderately modified YJ. It is still not clear how the accident occurred. Somehow his Jeep hit a snow bank and rolled over. He still had his seatbelt on when they found him. The factory roll bar collapsed like the letter V. Steve suffered severe injuries including his head, spinal column, and lungs. He also lost brain activity for more than 8 hours. He is still in ICU at a major medical center. He is under good medical care and surrounded by loved ones and friends. I am not a particularly religious person, but I am here to ask you to say a prayer for Steve and his family.

Steve Smith is an avid wheeler. He is the one of founding fathers of Delaware Jeep Association (DeJA). He serves on the board of directors and as the webmaster for our club. He is also a member of Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance (BMJA) and frequent contributor of Quadratec Jeep board. Steve is a strong supporter for the Children’s Hospital Toy Run and C&D Canal Cleanup. Steve lives in Bear, DE with his wife and two lovely daughters (ages 1 and 3).

Steve will have a long road ahead of him. But we know he is a fighter, he shall overcome. However for his family, it is going to be hard and frightening. Steve is the sole provider for his family. And for that reason, I am asking you not only for your thoughts and prayers, but for your financial support. If each one of us can save a tank or a half tank of gas money, we will make a difference in the life of one of our own.

For those who have wheeled with me in the past whether it was in Paragon, Big Dogs, GWNF, Camp Jeep 2000 and 2001, Colorado, or Moab, I am counting on you. Beer is on me, when we meet again. I promise. :)

An account has set up for Steve’s family, 100% of your donation will go to his family. Thanks to our DeJA member, Patti Sullivan, for setting up the account. She is a manager of Delaware National Bank. She and her staff will oversee the account.

Please make your check payable to Steve M. Smith and send to:

Steve M. Smith Trust Fund
c/o Patricia Sullivan
Delaware National Bank
3812 Kirkwood Highway
Wilmington, DE 19808

To send via Paypal

his paypal account is

[email protected]

To send cards and letters of support, the address is:

Delaware Jeep Association
PO Box 449
Bear, DE 19701

On behalf of Steve’s family and the members and friends of DeJA, I thank you. God bless and wheel safely.

Best regards,
Linyee
aka underDAWG, shuml

Edit:
P.S. All the fund received via Paypal and bank is for Steve recovery and his family. This fund will not be used to rebuild Steve's YJ. Rebuilding his YJ is the responsiblity of DeJA members using their time and donated parts from within DeJA and other distant Jeepers.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, for Steve and for his family. :(

That is a perfect illustration of why EVERY swb Jeep needs a full roll cage. I wish more people would take the time to properly install a full cage. Those photos make me tempted to strengthen my factory main hoop with a / bar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hang tough Steve... Anybody for a full cage? Sure makes a person think!!! Best wishes to you and your family Steve!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Any more details on exactly what caused that kind of failure? i'm guessing something hit the middle and caused the colapse. If you can find out more about this you may be helping alot of wrangler owners if it was due to week material.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
NE-RokToy said:
Any more details on exactly what caused that kind of failure? i'm guessing something hit the middle and caused the colapse. If you can find out more about this you may be helping alot of wrangler owners if it was due to week material.
I rarely cross link threads from here to there or vice versa, but...

a quote from the thread on ju with some more info

"A car behind him tried to stop but slid on the snow that Steve's Jeep kicked out of the snow bank. The car hit him but I am not sure where. I "think" she hit him in the roll bar. Perhaps that is why the roll bar is caved in at the center? It was ruled that he was not speeding and no one was at fault. It was just an accident that happened unfortunately"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's prayer and support.

Just want to remind everyone that All the fund received via Paypal and bank is for Steve recovery and his family. This fund will not be used to rebuild Steve's YJ. Rebuilding his YJ is the responsiblity of DeJA members using their time and donated parts from within DeJA and other distant Jeepers.

Later,
Linyee

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
From those of us up at Paragon we hope he has a speedy recovery and and wish him the best. Keep us posted on his recovery. Its nice to see his friends and family showing so much support.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
It appears when he hooked the snow bank the Jeep went from wheels to roof with out hitting the side. We think when he flipped it landed on top of a cement divider. That is what caused the damage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aaron, I tried to find the crashed site and I drove thru many times. I can't pinpoint where it was. Do you know the exact location? I really want to understand how it happened, may be it will help to accept this easier. :(

Later,
Linyee

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I still don't know exectly were it was either. I think Rubicon on the DEJA board may be able to help us out. I would like to see where it happened too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Feb 26 Update on Steve's conditions:

I stopped by to see Steve last nite after work. The waiting room is packed with friends, Jeep friends, and family members; all are pulling for him.

Just before the visiting hour was over, I went in to see him. He slept peacefully and breathing on his own and occasionally assisted by ventilator (they just recently did that, which is a good sign). He just had a slight temp, otherwise his vitals were all good. His skin color/tone looks good. It looks like he is getting the oxygen he needs. His electrolytes were good. Bicarb was on the low side, and blood gas is a bit low. The reason for this is most likely due to the recent switch to breath on his own. His urine output is good, indicating his kidneys are functioning. He was scheduled to have another CAT scan today to monitor the aftermath of the head injury.

So all in all, Steve is slowly and surely recovering. Although it may not show much on the appearance, internally there are a lot of healing in progress. Thank you for caring, and please keep your thoughts and prayers coming. Happy trails.

Later,
Linyee

1 - 20 of 59 Posts