Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To start the build name came from my Dad. He says that every time I tell him about a new part that I am getting it reminds him of the Johnny Cash song, and all the different years. Much of this build thread is a catch up to get to where it is now. Nothing is too crazy just your average Toyota build. Anyway on with the specs, and then the pics for those that like them.

86 4runner
22re
.40 over with engbldr street rv head, lc double row timing kit, and lc headers.
w56 with marlin 1600 lb clutch swapped in place of factory auto
single stock case for now, dual stock cases in the future.
Trail Gear Creeper Locks
37 Pit bulls
13.5" bob
rear fenders cut 2"

Front axle:
5 leaf Ruf
High angle driveline shaft
Tg high steer
Aussie locker
5.29's
30 spline Longs
Chromo hub gears
ifs hubs
Front Range Tacoma brake kit
Tundra rotors and calipers
longfield wipers
soon to have six stud mod on the hubs when I get to it
14" Bilstein 5150's

Rear axle:
f150's
Detroit
5.29's
Ford 13" Monroe shocks
Davez disc brake brackets with sfa rotors and calipers

Future plans:
Tube work (cage, sliders, bumpers)
Duals
Links in the future

On with the pics:
Starting point paid 950 with a blown motor and messed up front end.

Ran 31's for a while, and then threw 33's on. Blew the front end apart first trip out with them.

First I swapped the ford spring while I gather parts for the sas. Ran explorers for a while then went to f150's. Used sky's 63" swap kit.

Mounted rear shocks in a worthless position :eek:.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearance.

On all fours.

Drive way flex, measuring for shock mounts.

Shocks in with ford towers used a half inch bolt welded to the backside of the axle Erikb style on the bottom.

First time out dicking around.

Ramp champing at a local show. Still no front driveline cause I was saving up for gears.

First trip out in 4wd at Gulches orv.

Ended like this.

Next trip out this happened.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
CAGE CAGE CAGE.

You've hit that point where your truck is much more capable than it is safe.

Even if all you do is a simple 4 pointer in the back, it'll keep the roof off your head.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
37x 13.50x 17 bias ply rockers. Last weekend was my first trip on them, but they were already broke in from the previous owner. Ran them at 4 psi no problem. Cage is next up. Working on a group buy with my club right now for tube. Already have an air/hydro jd2. I understand the importance though for sure. I did an endo at the ecors race 2 weeks ago in a rig and it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought the brackets from Davez for 15 each I think. There not designed to be used with the solid axle rotors and calipers, but they worked fine. Had to space them away from the axle flange with a nut and a washer, then put the bracket on and bolted them down. Also had to bore the center out on the rotors to fit on the back of the axle shaft. Used solid front axle wheel studs to hold them on, and had to run a .25 in wheel spacer.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nice build, subscribed :smokin:

Do you have any pics of the rear disk setup mentioned above? I'm looking into the doing the same thing with the same parts and pics always help :D

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The pic up top is the only one I have, but here is a link to the build I followed to get the idea.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913365

Also I bought Davez proportioning valve/ residual valve kit. The proportioning valve is required in my book. Without it the rears would instantly lock up, and make the back end come around.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So lately I have been trying to finish up the bob and figure out what I am going to do. The rear corners were trashed from rocks and such, so I decided to cut them below the tail lights. I have never really liked this look, but I am going to tuck the rear bumper in tight were the sheet metal used to be to make up for the empty space.

Before

At first I was just gonna cut the pinch welds.

Final cut. I am working on the plates to close it up, but I have been pretty busy with class. Hopefully I can get one side finished up friday and start on the other.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts