Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there an advantage of going to a 2 piece d-shaft in the front to keep it up out of the rocks? My front shaft measurement is 41" so i have room to do either set-up. The front pinion isnt pointed upward, so the 2 piece shaft would compound the front u-joint angle some but if it would work, would it be worth the added cost?

edit- it's a YJ with a chevy 60 and reverse shackle leaf springs

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
probably not

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
I had to run a 2 piece shaft in the front to clear the tranny. But the added clearance is awesome. Really just depends on how your jeep is setup. My lower control arms help hide the shaft. You can only imagine if I didn't run a 2 piece shaft. I would then be forced to post in the chevy forum. :D

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
*Quick Hijack*

-Dookey- what wheels are those???

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Definitely worth it, I did mine for the cost of the pillow block (1.5", $18 from Surplus Center) and used the stock np231 slip yoke which measures 1.5" od pressed through the pillow block. Used the slip side of the stock front YJ shaft from the dana 300 to the pillow block, then went from a 1310 yoke to the slip half of a toyota shaft (toyota axle).

I had no choice with my config, but I would have done it anyways for the clearance. The 2-piece shaft let me run my flat belly pan up to the bellhousing.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
this doesnt exactly answer your question, but my experience tells me that a high pinion front axle with 1 piece shaft will see way less rocks than a low pinion front axle with a 2 piece shaft. granted, i'm sure a 2 piece front shaft can be designed to give you extra clearance, i'd rather stick with a standard shaft for simplicity reasons.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
this doesnt exactly answer your question, but my experience tells me that a high pinion front axle with 1 piece shaft will see way less rocks than a low pinion front axle with a 2 piece shaft. granted, i'm sure a 2 piece front shaft can be designed to give you extra clearance, i'd rather stick with a standard shaft for simplicity reasons.
So get rid of your low pinion axle and get a new high pinion. :rolleyes:

Tell me, exactly, what isn't simple about a 2 piece shaft.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts

High pinion will not fit in my rig, the yoke at the axle end is the only thing that as touched the rocks since I got mine.
________
Hyde Park Residence 2 Prathumnak

1 - 11 of 11 Posts