Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a HP dana 60 front axle and a sterling 10.5 rear axle out of a 2002 F-250 Super duty. I am in the process of overhauling these axles to put into my TJ but have a few questions.

1)Is it possible to change from balljoint knuckles to kingpin knuckles? I have been looking for highsteer knuckles and everything seems to be kingping.

2)Has anyone seen a disc brake conversion for a 2002 the 10.5? Are they the same kits as the older 10.5s??

·
Registered
455 Posts
Its not very hard to pop the knuckle off when a U-joint lets go and your under throttle. And you don't see many mining/oil or any other company blowing U-joints very often.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
That surprises me more. Those knuckles look really large compared to a kp knuckle. Maybe they are weak in a spot though.
The stock trucks, one was a farm truck that was constantly abused and doubled as a hunting truck, and the other was on a 4wd Geotech Drill rig that had a hard life also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. It gets frustrating trying to look for that stuff when it barely exists.

Anyone know about a rear disc brake conversion for the sterling 10.5?

·
11,307 Posts
the 99 up ford axles get bad press but they are used a lot, so do not get discouraged specially if you goit a good deal on the set I woudl run them. They do have issues, hub setup compared to older Fords but all can be addressed.

There are a few thredas here also showing how to weld on the knuckle for high steer and some people have run them without issues. I would stick with them if you got them cheap enough and keep balljoint.

Good luck!

·
Ford Bigot
4,100 Posts
Search "FordTechGuru" or PM him as he also machines the stock knuckles to accept specially-built high steer arms for the 99-04 Ford HP60. He's got a few threads going on the Ford Tech section.

·
Registered
615 Posts
as far as putting disc brakes on the 10.5, I have a 10.5 in the rear of my 05 f350 and it has disc brakes on it. Maybe you could source the parts from a newer axle..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Currie has been using these inner/outer knuckles and unit bearings for years with good results. And Spider Trax uses the unit bearings.

I think theses Super Duty axles are great. They even have 3.5", 1/2" wall tubes. And they can be had for a fraction of the price of older kingpin axles.

I'm building one right now. There is aftermarket support them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm using some sd axles out of a wrecked 05. The knuckles are way bigger and look stronger than the older kingpin knuckles. Axle tubes are massive. The detroits are expensive for the sterling 10.5 though.

There are some nice highsteer options for the 99-04. Nothing available for the 05 or newer so I'm designing/building my own. Only time will tell how it holds up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts